 Local / United States / New Jersey / Newark / 9
Re: Best-lock found.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.loc.us.nj.new, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 01:11:26 GMT

I happened to be in New Jersey today for reasons I won't go into (I'm in
Detroit at the moment in the WorldClub, typing away... if you travel a
lot, pick a favorite airline and buy a club membership, it is so very
very worth it)

Anyway I was in the Target Greatland in Menlo Park NJ (in Edison
Township, near Newark) killing some time, and I saw about 6 different
Best-Lock military sets. I was sorely tempted to get one, but I found
those ersatz "classic smiley" figs toting machine guns extremely
disturbing.

I might have gotten over that... but I looked at the stuff in the bags
through the windows. I know that there is less money to work with if you
produce a 300 piece set for 29.95, but the sets just seemed "wrong"
somehow. Everything seemed like it was "wavy" and the packaging was very
cheap. I could not see myself being happy with them. Plus the truck
designs just seemed uninspired to me.

So I left empty handed.

Also, I nosed around the Zany Brainy in the Menlo Park mall, nothing
special. They had lots of 4559s ... but the KayBee there had a good
selection of the following sets:

6444 outback airstrip
6490 Amazon Crossing
4012 Wave Cops
the blue/white police buggy small technic set
6441 Deep Reef Refuge
6558 Shark Cage Cove

at "kaybee discount", marked down some amount from their marked up over
list so that the price is at least regular retail, or less

They also had a few landspeeders, snow speeders and an X wing.

I didn't buy anything. Happy hunting

Ben Vaughan wrote:

After reading much about Best-Lock bricks last year, I was interested in
seeing some, but was never able to find any.  Long story short, I found
several kits this afternoon at my local Target store.  I picked up the
Missle Launcher and Armored Transport for a pretty good price.

Now, having built the armored transport, I'd have to rate these at about the
same level as MegaBlocks.  The grip and staying power is about the same
(that is to say, inferior to LEGO) and the brick and plate heights are
similar to MegaBlocks also.  Looking at the pictures of the Coco sets, I see
a lot of simlarities between the two.  It looks like some components have
been borrowed from Coco, MegaBlocks and LEGO and all rolled into one.  Not
bad, but I don't think I'll be picking up anymore.

Ben

Ben Vaughan
buster@marsbase.com
www.marsbase.com
The few, the proud,...the plastic.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.