 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 55
Re: Best-lock found.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.loc.us.nj.new, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 09:49:21 GMT

   Hey, Larry--Detroiter, World Traveler:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Anyway I was in the Target Greatland in Menlo Park NJ (in Edison
Township, near Newark) killing some time, and I saw about 6 different
Best-Lock military sets. I was sorely tempted to get one, but I found
those ersatz "classic smiley" figs toting machine guns extremely
disturbing.

    That's actually one heck of a Target.  Things get "lost"
   there--clearance items forgotten, I found a lot of 4126 (#?)
   red freestyle buckets for three bucks a pop there.  Also,
   that's where I found an absolute ton of Frontier Patrols
   for a buck apiece.  Unfortunately they're more diligent now...
   but I still scored a couple of Roboforce sets for 90% off
   and they discontinued Scorpion Trackers for some reason,
   and I got a few of those for about 25% of retail.

   But all the Targets have Best-Lock.  Last time I was in
   Detroit (March), the Targets in Livonia and out in Lansing
   all had them too.  I presume the decision to stock the brand
   is a corporate one, and as such would have to be made in
   Dayton or Detroit.

   Of many adjectives I've considered for Best-Lock's minifigs,   "ersatz" never
really came to mind, though.

I might have gotten over that... but I looked at the stuff in the bags
through the windows. I know that there is less money to work with if you
produce a 300 piece set for 29.95, but the sets just seemed "wrong"
somehow. Everything seemed like it was "wavy" and the packaging was very
cheap. I could not see myself being happy with them. Plus the truck
designs just seemed uninspired to me.

   Agreed.  At least they have the "spartan presentation" aspect
   down pat.  It's very simple--but the models don't even look
   good on the box!  There's ill-fit and irregular bricks all over.

Also, I nosed around the Zany Brainy in the Menlo Park mall, nothing
special. They had lots of 4559s ... but the KayBee there had a good
selection of the following sets:  ...

at "kaybee discount", marked down some amount from their marked up over
list so that the price is at least regular retail, or less

They also had a few landspeeders, snow speeders and an X wing.

   K-B Toy Works in Edison has all SW sets, at a 30% jacked-up   price.  I know
about the Menlo Park situation--I went into their
   ZB and they didn't have Star Wars sets on Monday!  Apparently
   none were shipped.  It's a sad area for Lego hunting, I'm afraid--
   although there is the occasional gem to be found in a stationer
   or something.  All told, though, it's nowhere as nice as Detroit
   for bargain-hunting.  On the up side, we do have Kohl's out here
   now...but I think my bargain hunting will have to wait for the end
   of May and my return to Detroit.  It's hard to be in a state where
   I can hit almost all of the toy merchants in the course of a day
   or two...sigh.

   LFB (feeling wistful for "home")