Re: Cary's partial disconnect/ back from Japan?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:37:04 GMT

"sheree rosenkrantz" <srosez@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You did make it back???  And provided your nephews with many memorable toy
story experiences???  Purely educational excursions...  :-)

So did the suitcases come back with more fabric or more Lego?  Hopefully,
bunches of both.

Spot any of these?
http://nt1.pncl.co.uk/huw/view.asp?set=1177-1

sheree

Thanks for thinking of me, Sheree.

I made it back. I spent about $1000 on walmart.com's half price sale just
before I left, and I guessed that I'd be happier with that loot than
spending it on Lego in Japan. I made a good choice. I saw very little Lego
in Japan, nothing special or unique, and all that I did see was nearly 2x
the US price. I did find a six year old FreeStyle set in the Osaka airport,
but at 9000 yen (about $82) it was easy to pass up.

It's very difficult for a foreigner to find stuff there. Most of the time I
felt illiterate. I spent many unsuccessful hours trying to find a CD for a
friend, so I didn't pursue the Lego too hard. I did checkout some small
stores as well as some department stores, but as I said before, everything
was current, common, and very expensive.

For a train-crazy place, I was disappointed that there were no trains in the
store or the 2000/2001 catalogue. I brought back two Japan catalogues; both
are up for grabs. If you would like one of them, let me know.

But I do have an interesting Lego story to tell. And FTX is a great way to
tell it. So, go to:

http://www.lugnet.com/~330/japan

Cary