 Local / United States / Michigan / Detroit / 28
Re: Center for Creative Studies, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mi.det
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 03:55:01 GMT

Greg Vander Mark wrote:

Hello All,
I recently finalized my choice to go to CCS in Detroit, and was just
wondering if anybody here goes (or went) to school there. LMK.
Thanks,
Jeremiah VanderMark

Jeremiah,

My cousin went there; I opted not to, because my drawing time was far too
unregimented.  She ended up leaving after one year to go to the
University of Michigan, because she said that there's a lot of orthodoxy
(at least in her field, metalworking) and you truly have no life while
you're studying there--if you're spending less than 80 hours a week on
your projects, there's something wrong.  I couldn't do that, because I
tended to operate in a very stream-of-consciousness way when
illustrating, and that includes putting it down (gasp!) and doing
something else for a week.

As for me, I was a product of the Livonia Career Center's commercial art
intensive training for high school students (half of my day during my
senior year was spent there), and we put a lot of people into CCS.
Without exception everyone says the above--the amount of work you produce
is almost insane.  That shouldn't dissuade you if that's what you really
love, because it's one of the best schools out there for the graphic
arts.  It's just that the learning curve is *really* steep, sort of like
stepping onto a moving train; of the 20 or so I know who went to CCS,
only two ever completed.  On the other hand, they both were incredible
artists and got great jobs.  I ended up being a historian.  ;)

Hope this helps,

Lindsay