 Local / United States / Massachusetts / Boston / 428
Re: something nelug could do
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 02:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Matthew Miller writes:
I realize that we're not TLG's
target audience for a lot of things, but they _have_ at least acknowledged a
lot of adult interest in Mindstorms, which is kinda (and that's generated a
lot of positive press for them, too).

Acknowledgement is something the company may find neccessary, whether the
outward stance be true or feinged. I'm not holding my breath for anything more
positive (and true as well).

I think your Palm organizer example is a good one in that, like the RCX brick,
3com gives customers a blank slate to build from. It would be nice to have
support from TLG in more development projects, but hey, all our LUG-heads
together make one damn good support staff.

I was thinking in particular of
<URL:http://www.palm.com/resources/usergroups.html> -- *gasp*, actual
acknowledgement/support of user groups.

I understand. I'm afraid though, that the first-mentioned LUG idea may be more
analagous to say, Kate Bush fans requesting to meet with her, attempting to woo
her into singing lyrics directed at them on her next album. ("We really like
you
Kate, we just want you to let us write the words this time..")

sounds silly I know. and I don't mean to poke fun at your idea or discourage
any
forward thinking. it's good to throw ideas around. and good to be excited -- I
am too. But I've also struggled so hard (for years) with thoughts of "Why did
LEGO do THAT?" and "Why can't they just do THIS?" etc. It can be exhausting. It
can take the fun out of it.

There's still so much about LEGO to love that I personally have found more
peace
in "letting go of the fight," so to speak. I've come to accept the fact that
there wouldn't be a product without a company.

It cheers me up to look at the new CLASSIC sets (no Timmy), the advent
calendar,
the 2 new DK instruction books, and the KLUTZ book, which have that original
LEGO flavor (major improvement over the prev. idea books). All those new
natural
colors I can now use to make models of fantastic houses and landscapes, our
very
own Legoland on this side of the Atlantic, and Star Wars models (remember
wishing for that?), on top of the release of a programmable brick (!) robotics
kit and brick sensors, etc.

It really has been an amazing couple of years. I'm walking on the bright side
of
the street. I only wish I had more time to build.

-Suz.