Subject:
NMRA update (Sat. pm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 06:22:34 GMT

  Not wanting to leave folks names out;

  Friday, Fred Yokel visited, and Tom McDonald helped me with the
booth duty all day (Big Help!), while Tom Stangle showed up in the
afternoon to bring in his freight warehouse.

  Saturday, Mike came in early with me, and we stayed all day. Paul
S. came in mid-day, with a 1200-pc tub, which the plethora of kids
swarming around the booth found irresistable. Soon after he began
working on a couple of projects, we had a half-dozen kids building
along side, taking up 10 feet of the space on one end of the layout.
(We hadn't planned to make this a kids building area, it just happened.)
Soon, we had kids with creations driving them around on the harbor,
in order to get more space...then other kids saw them playing, and
began to handle Tom S's ship models and other smaller sets. Tom McDonald
came back late in the day with his wife and daughter, and Eric McCarthy
also came with his wife and daughter.

  Mike will probably be staying with Tom M. tonite, but Tom left without
hooking up, so Paul S. took Mike to get dinner up in the east bay, and
planned to hook up with Tom (saving Mike the 3.5-hour-each-way trip home).

  While building was a big draw, we did suffer frequent damage, and many
derailments, as well as a few missing pieces, when little hands tried
to interact with the running trains and other display models. We should
try to have a "lessons learned" thread in email after this event.

  Nobody brought in drape material, so the booth was still naked. :-(

  I think the show has been a good success for us so far. The event
organizers have thanked us for coming, and tell us that the LEGO groups
are always big hits. We have had lots of visitors, and you can see some
pictures of everything at http://www.baylug.org/bayltc/.

  Tomorrow the show closes at 5p, and we only get 1.5 hours for teardown.
If you can make it in the evening to help move stuff out, we'd love to
have your help! Between Mike, Tom S. and I, we will make sure that all
of the buildings and rolling stock get brought back to someones home, and
we'll get them back to the owners as we figure out who has which things.

  We have loaned a couple of two-axle train wheelsets with boggie plates,
and 4 straight track sections, to the Centerline folks (who make the
pull-behind-the-caboose track cleaning cars), in the hopes that they may
have a suggestion for making a track cleaner for LEGO track. I'll post
a note here tomorrow night about what success they may have.

     Regards,

           -Z-

--
    The Bay Area LEGO Users Group (BayLUG) is open to kids of all ages.
homepage - http://BayLUG.org   membership - http://BayLUG.org/membership.html