Re: NMRA update (Fri. pm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 08:06:35 GMT

"David K. Z. Harris" wrote:

  I'll be showing up at the hall by 9am. Can someone bring in some
plastic tablecloth (very lightweight, solid color(s) please.) I'll
bring the staple gun, and a staple remover. ;-)

  ** We have a 50' perimeter, more if we want to overlap a bit, to
    get that 'curtain' affect.

  We had good foot traffic today, even though it was just dealers and
convention folks.

  One recurring theme was folks saying they remembered us from other
previous NMRA shows. After asking questions, it was clear that folks
had seen LEGOs in GMLTC and PNLTC territories...we made the clarification
when appropriate that we were separate clubs, but knew each other. :-)
Many folks think that we'll be in the top 3 crowd drawing displays
at the show over the weekend. We'll see.

  There is a "kids play area", but it's only software trains! This has
dissappointed a few kids, and a some of them have been *VERY* pushy
about wanting to run the trains Saturday. There are two in particular
that were very "hands on" (Tom Stangl's term, meaning they felt free
to touch and play, carelessly), mainly with Tom's boats, since that
table is a bit lower.

These are the ones we have to keep eagle eyes out for Sat/Sun, or we'll be
rebuilding a LOT of displays.  Putting the freight train on the outside is a
better idea, as we'll run it slower, so a derail shouldn't hurt as much (and it
keeps my Metroliners farther away from crowds ;-).

Two other, slightly older kids were actually
very good with the trains, were polite, and hinted that they would
like to get in the middle of the display...we'll see. If we let them
in, we might have some trouble with the younger kids. :-(

I have NO problem with inviting more responsible people inside - we just have to
state flat out that it is by invite ONLY, and that the more we are asked about
it, the LESS likely we are to invite ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/