Subject:
NMRA update (Fri. pm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 05:20:20 GMT

  I'll be showing up at the hall by 9am. Can someone bring in some
plastic tablecloth (very lightweight, solid color(s) please.) I'll
bring the staple gun, and a staple remover. ;-)

  ** We have a 50' perimeter, more if we want to overlap a bit, to
    get that 'curtain' affect.

  We had good foot traffic today, even though it was just dealers and
convention folks.

  One recurring theme was folks saying they remembered us from other
previous NMRA shows. After asking questions, it was clear that folks
had seen LEGOs in GMLTC and PNLTC territories...we made the clarification
when appropriate that we were separate clubs, but knew each other. :-)
Many folks think that we'll be in the top 3 crowd drawing displays
at the show over the weekend. We'll see.

  There is a "kids play area", but it's only software trains! This has
dissappointed a few kids, and a some of them have been *VERY* pushy
about wanting to run the trains Saturday. There are two in particular
that were very "hands on" (Tom Stangl's term, meaning they felt free
to touch and play, carelessly), mainly with Tom's boats, since that
table is a bit lower. Two other, slightly older kids were actually
very good with the trains, were polite, and hinted that they would
like to get in the middle of the display...we'll see. If we let them
in, we might have some trouble with the younger kids. :-(

  I suppose we can let the booth operators decide. I *CAN* bring the
RF power cutoff switches tomorrow, in case we want that as a line of
defense. (I removed and hid a link in the controller power line, in
case the younger kids somehow arrive before I do, just so they can't
crank up the locomotives. Sorry to be so paranoid. :-|

  We have a couple of notepads in the booth, to jot down ideas for
"next time" we put on a public display. If you have ideas while you
are at the show, please ask for a pad and jot down your thoughts.
We'll summarize them later, and come up with a checklist. :-)

  We have *plenty* of track, thanks.

  NOTE: Elevator 3 can be called up to the second floor when someone
     wants to go down, but you can't get in from the parking levels,
     and ask it to go up. You probably need to go up the escalators
     in the central part of the lobby. :-(

      (Me? I cheated. I dragged my boxes into the elevator, and I
       was planning to walk up and call the elevator and unload it.
       But, as I finished loading, another couple of guys came in
       with their cart, and we sent one of them up, so we could stay
       in the elevator with our gear. :-)

  Lots of stuff to by (hats, pins, t-shirts and other clothing, DCC
controllers, and that's just the first quarter of the floor!), so
stop by the ATM on your way in, or bring checkbook/credit cards. You
can even get train-related Christmas ornaments this weekend. :-)

  We put down nearly 50 large grey basepates. There are still some
rough spots where road plates and big plates overlap. The track
separations are strangely not symetrical. We have a freaight train
that covers nearly 3/4 of the freight loop. Only adults can see
into the lifted lid of the Spamcake Diner, and it's a bit hard to
see inside of Tom McDonald's Candy Shop, due to the overhead lights.
Still, THINGS LOOK GREAT, and I'm excited at how it's all working!

  We still need some blue baseplates. (10"x 10" preferred, but
smaller are OK as well.)

  Wear short-sleeves, and *comfy* shoes! We do have 4 chairs,
but we can only use them within the small confines of our booth,
so about two at a time is all we were able to manage today.

  Bring a camera if you want to wander the show floor and get ideas
for other projects. Bring plenty of water to drink, because you will
be talking much of the day, and it dries you out! Mark Benz and Ross
came today, and brought in lots of 1-page informational flyers to
hand out. We placed some flyers and some of my BayLUG business cards
on all four corners of the layout.

  We had one accident today...a derailment, involving 5 tanker cars
(wait, it gets better) right outside the city government building.
It was a fluke. My long tanker derailed, and a couple hoppers pulled
apart near the head of the train, which stopped most of those cars...
but we had added an engine mid-train, which then pushed the freight
behind the tanker *into* other tankers. Not to worry, my car needed
redesigning anyway. The bits left over are on the shop floor of the
roundhouse. :-)

  When you come to visit, look for the new Timmy being eaten by a
shark in the bay, and a jetski running over old Timmy... ;-)

  I also added some to my Octan fuel tank, and it's sitting near the
freight cutting yard. Some old pirate masts made fine yard lighting
towers to boot. Watch for pictures under http://baylug.org/bayltc/.

     -Z-

--
    The Bay Area LEGO Users Group (BayLUG) is open to kids of all ages.
homepage - http://BayLUG.org   membership - http://BayLUG.org/membership.html