Subject:
NMRA Layout update (Thu. p.m.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 05:30:06 GMT

  Tom McDonald, Mike P., and

Look below the update for specific messages!

  We are booth #824, at the junction of halls 1 & 2, next to
elevator #3, and parking area S7. Parking is $5 during the
work day, $3 in the evening, or $12 for in/out all day.
(This is Conv. Ctr. parking...I didn't see prices for other
lots nearby.) They will be kicking us out at 6pm Friday
and Saturday, and at 5 on Sunday (though the teardown will
last until 6:30 on Sunday).

  Bring food/water/snacks. Few concessions nearby, and they
are *really pricey*...sodas make LEGO look cheap! ;-)

  We have a small cutting yard for static display. This also
has a stub into the turntable for the round house. We have some
room near the yard for freight-related buildings and/or road.

  We have a freight loop, with a small passing track.

  We have a passenger loop, which splits to become two tracks
(so we can put Mike's sweet station in the middle!) Since the
station will arrive on Saturday, I'm going to place some cranes
and dump trucks and bulldozers there to "prepare the site".
On Saturday, the building will appear, and we can move the
construction team somewhere else if we need to. ;-)

  We have the tables laid out, and the "low" tables need to
be raised *9 BRICKS* for things to meet! Who has ideas, wood
shims, spare TYCO bricks? ;-)

  The seaport dock, boats, and bridges look GREAT! (Yes, we'll
be taking lots of pictures, I can tell.

  We don't have a city plan, road map, etc., so I can't tell folks
what size "lots" we need building for. If you have some "regular"
minifig-scale buildings that you can easily transport, please
consider bringing them with you for the dislay. We may not use
them, but we're lacking right now!

  Tom Stangl will be working on his warehouse, and bringing it
down Friday afternoon. I'll work on the round house (to repair
the remaining shipping damage, mainly to the turntable gearing).
I've also got a water/fuel tank started, and will keep hacking
on that Friday.

  We have sturck a chord, and some kids and some serious modelers
have been watching the progress with keen excitement! Our location
is great, with one really great HO layout ("L"-shaped) on two sides,
on one major isle, and near a crossing major isle. We should get
lots of foot traffic past the booth! :-)

  There are lots of other interesting displays, and I'm sure that we
can get a bunch of great ideas by looking at the other displays. If
you need to buy a ticket to get in, I still think it'll be worth your
money for the visit!
____________________________________
Messages:

  Tom McDonald: Halls open at 8am, I'll try to be there early.
Call me on the cell phone if you want me to come out to meet
you and bring the diner in. (or are you staying for a while? :-)

  Mike P.: The width between the tracks is one 10" baseplate
width PLUS 4 studs...is this enough room? If not, we'll remove
the inner passenger track, and expand the freight loop a bit.
(Bring some (10-12) of your large grey baseplates.)

--
Zonker Harris  (zonkerh@corp.webtv.net, zonker@gnac.com)
GNAC Broadband Network Architect, Microsoft Broadband Deployment