Re: Who can help at a BayLUG *Mindstorms* display in SF, 10/14?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:46:19 GMT

  I'm glad to hear it Paul, since we haven't seen you at a meeting in
a while. ;-) It'll be a good chance to chat.

  The Zeum folks have 4 RCX sets, and additional brickage. Part of the
foray this weekend is to try to determine what is there.

  My thought is to pull together some simple instructions (ala DACTA
classroom examples) for 'simple machines' (gears, pulleys, leverage...).
and these will also be a chance to get hands-on for folks that haven't
played with LEGO before. From there, we work our way up to some small
models, and perhaps do some motorizing. By then, we'll have some things
we can try to control with the RCX.

  My hope is that we can get a couple Mindstorms-savvy folks involved,
maybe with a laptop that has the IR tower, and some stored programs
that we can send to build some existing models, or show off the LEGO
programming interface. (I've seen it demonstarted, but I couldn't
get time on the keyboard...)

  I'm guessing that we'll have a few 'ringers' in the audience as well
(teens who have played with one before, or who have one), and they'll
be able to help with the demonstartion by starting to build a couple
of advanced models while we get the new users started, and that will
help keep the program moving. Having a few volunteers would mean we
could have one person doing the 'basic LEGO' instructions for newcomers
who drop in later in the day, so the demonstration doesn't have to try
to get the late attendees up-to-speed all the time. :-)

  So, what am I overlooking? What else can we do?

      -Z-