Subject:
Public Thank You for our NMRA show supporters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 00:12:53 GMT

  I know I can't name everyone, but I'm going to shoot for 80%, and
count on others to chip in with the rest of the names.

Module Builders  (OK, so we didn't get to use them this time, but a
                   bunch of folks tried to help make it happen, and
                   that's worthy of thanks!)
  Mike Poindexter tops this list, but he's had help. Some of the folks
    who made at least one pilgrimage down to build were Paul Sinasohn,
    Tom Stangle, and the whole McCarthy clan (and me). Tim Courtney
    also came in for a few days to help before KidVention. Whe else Mike?

Table Builders  (that'd be Mike P. and a small contribution by me.)

Move-In Crew
  Mark LaRue was the team lead, and main transporter of tables and our
    initial supplies for setup. He coordinated getting the goods into
    hall. Yi Fun Liang took time from work to help set tables up, and
    get some initial track layed. Tom Stangle and I came in Thursday
    evening, and helped modify the track for the yard, and prepare for
    the show opening.

Rolling Stock
  Mike and Tom Stangle were the anchors here, providing *15* metroliner
    style cars and locomotives. (Yes, we have video of them running.)
  Tom McDonald brought his 4449 S.P. Daylight steamer, and it was a tie
    between the Daylight and the Metroliner for "most requested train".
  I pitched in some freight cars as well, with Paul S. providing a King
    Tut caboose, giving us a 44 car (plus three loco) freight train.

Building Builders
  Mike brought his newer (and bigger) white train station, plus the
    various accessories and vehicles. He also broght in a generic white
    library/city hall/train station building covering a 15" baseplate.
    He also brough a black water tower, with top- and bottom-covers made
    from the UFO saucer sections, and standing on plenty of black 2x2x5
    criss-cross girder sections.
  Eric McCarthy provided a white multi-story office/restaurant (built
    for Mike, with Mike's parts). During the show, it was embellished
    with an outside dining deck overlooking the harbor.
  Tom Stangle provided a red cargo warehouse with long loading crane,
    to go with his cargo dock, and container ships.
  Tom McDonald brough in his fine Spamcake diner, andthe candy store.
    On Sunday, Sgt' Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band played from the
    top of City hall, while ZZ-Top played from atop the water tower.
  Someone brought in a small gas station, and a smattering of vehicles
    appeared on Sunday morning.
  I brought the round house, but it didn't do well in shipping. The only
    parts I couldn't easily fix were the gearing for the turntable, but
    we surrounded it with construction vehicles to appease the crowd. I
    also finished a ground-mounted Octan fuel tank, built at the show.

Booth Duty
  Mike and I probably did the yoeman's job at this show. Both Tom's came
    in with almost as many hours. Paul Sinasohn was the guy that most of
    the kids will remember. (Many came back on Sunday to play, since there
    were no hands-on trains at the show for the kids to play with.) Fred
    Yokel also did some time in the hot seat. Who else helped in the booth?

Collateral Support
  Mark Benz put together a 1-page handout, and duplicated it. He brought
    the stack to the show floor, as well as a stand-up information holder.
    We handed out *every sheet* by Sunday afternoon, and the sheets helped
    save the booth crew a lot of talking and writing!
  We have plenty of pictures up on the web! Visitors to the BayLTC dirctory
    on Friday and Saturday found the pictures for each day posted before
    midnight that night. Sunday's images were posted Monday morning. We
    should encourage folks that contact us about NMRA to check them out
    at http://www.baylug.org/bayltc/, especially our contacts at NMRA!

  Many club folks stopped by with family, but spent time talking to the
folks working the booth, as well as helping field questions from visitors.
Thanks to Russell Clark, Fred Yokel, and Janet Graff and their families.

  Thanks again to everyone who helped to make our display at the booth
the hit that it was! :-)

         -Z-

--
Zonker Harris  (zonkerh@corp.webtv.net, zonker@gnac.com)
GNAC Broadband Network Architect, Microsoft Broadband Deployment