 Local / United States / California / Los Angeles / 139
138  |  140
Subject:
LUGOLA Meeting #5---November 4th, 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:02:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

One word describes this meeting: WOW! We had a fantastic turnout this time
around and nearly everyone brought womething to show off or trade. A great time
was had by all as shown in the pictures taken by Ashley Glennon.

Bryce's 'Big Blue' was there as was most of the 'Dark Marauder'. Too bad we
forgot the centaur's legs' eh, Bryce? If you look closely, you can see a tiny
portion (check the right side) of this impressive mech in the 'Big Blue' pic. A
better shot of it is in the picture of Brad and Dave trading.

Speaking of that, there was much swapping of parts going on. Virtually everyone
participated in that, and I was *ahem* relieved of one of my mechs (Yetrigar) by
Ashley Glennon. Don't worry, I got a great deal for it, namely the 8446 by
Brad's hand in that picture. Behind Brad is Thomas Michon's 7000 piece
intergalactic model. Just keep Bryce away from it *crash*...(j/k)

Henry was up to his old tricks again, showing that a three dimensional pumpkin
is batter than the ol' 2-d version Lego put out. I won't reveal how many pumpkin
kits were torn apart to create this beautiful piece other than to say the number
is in the double digits.

The group photo taken in the living room. You can see who attended, so I won't
repeat all the names. Note how idiotic I look in my work hat. Ah, well....it
goes with the territory, I guess. Also note all the lovely Lego creations around
the Michon living room. It does get tiring bowing to the Darth Maul trophy after
awhile, though. (just kidding....)

Speaking of our wonderful hosts, the Michon Family, here's a picture of Thomas
and David in front of the spare parts bins. They are centrally located in a room
with lots of space to move around (the bins, not the boys). Hope you guys
enjoyed having us over, because we thoroughly enjoyed going.

Susan Michon and Bryce 'Big Blue' McGlone having hun looking through Brad
Hamilton's trade pile. In case you were Wondering, that is Brad's Aquathedral on
the table. This picture helps to show the scale, but not nearly well enough.

Last, but certainly not least, is Scott Costello's Mormon Temple complete with
minifig Scott. This is an impressive structure both in person and in the ABS.
Other items shown in the pic: 'Big Blue' and 'Dark Marauder' and a part of Dan
Jassim's 'Nasal Avenger' complete with minifig Mark Sandlin.

There were a great many more items that were shown-David Michon's Intergalactic
array, my M:Tron Commando force and recent mechs and Dan Jassim's Manta to name
a few. Ashley did a great job of taking the photos, and I'm just glad we finally
have photographic evidence of a meeting. The Michon's were extremely generous
hosts, and we're quite lucky and proud to have them as LUGOLA members. The
success of this meeting prompted me to open a group email account
(lugola@hotmail.com) and our own Brickbay gallery.

Just a couple of personal note from me since I probably won't get to post again
for another day or so...

Ashley, it was a blast talking to you about the Lego employee/Lego fan conflict.
I'd love to pick your brain a bit more about this subject in a future meeting.
If you have any more pics to be posted, let me know.

Bryce, thanks for the carpool. Please thank your lovely wife for letting mee
keep you for so long away from her and your daughters. I think we've both tossed
each other enough ideas to last until the January meeting at your place. btw, I
posted the group pics via IE...DOH! I'll get back to you with more info on this.

Henry, as usual, it was a success! I loved the pumpkin, but I'm jealous of all
the orange you're accumulating. No, I'm not planning to catch up to you any time
soon. Anyone else with orange bricks, slopes, or plates-contact Henry Lim c/o
lugola@hotmail.com ;-)

Scott, a great gathering! I'll agree with you that LUGOLA's growth has been
incredible. Let's just keep it up in the best way possible-word of mouth. I
forgot to ask you if you have plans to expand the temple or are you done with
it?

Dan, thanks for bringing the Manta. You are right-less is more in that case. I
was also impressed with the Nasal Avenger. Who'd have thought that a large nose
could be so threatening? ;-) I look forward to seeing more adventures of your
creations and more of minifig Mark Sandlin in action.

Brad and Shelly, it was wonderful finally meeting you after so many months of
communication via e-mail. I look forward to the March meeting so I can see
Brad's building style up close again. Pictures just don't do it justice as
evidenced by the Aquathedral.

Ted, Susan, Thomas, and David-Thank you for hosting the event. I was thrilled
that everything came together so well. Even the weather wanted us to get
together. I hope you can attend the January meeting at Bryce and Karla's place.
We should have a date for this shortly.

Thank you all for your confidence in my ability to serve as your communication
guy (I hate the term 'officer'). I'll do my best to keep us all in contact with
one another. Scott's LUGOLA egroup <http://www.egroups.com/group/LUGOLA> was a
big step in the right direction. I believe the LUGOLA Zapplets and group email
(more later) are another step the right way. Up next-the website and the January
meeting in Monrovia. Until LUGOLA Meeting #6---

-Dave
LUGOLA Communications Minifig
(ah, well. I guess I'll have to put a headset on minifig me now....)