 Local / United States / 255
Re: How are lugnet.loc.us... groups being used these days?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us, Robin Werner writes:
In lugnet.loc.us, Frank Filz writes:
I'm curious. I was in Florida for 2.5 weeks and posted in
lugnet.loc.us.fl and got no response at all. I have seen very little
activity in the various lugnet.loc groups I follow. I sense that most
local even planning is now done on private LUG or LTC lists. This is
certainly good for most discussion, but I wonder if it cramps growth? I
know people do watch some of the local groups, but I wonder if more
activity in the local groups would foster more connections and growth?

To be blunt, I think that in the case in point, you probabbly got the
general jist of the replies in that post.  There's not really very many
people that live in the Florida area.  There's me, Robin, KK Quah, (though
he hasn't posted recently) and then Mr. Mizner. (Ditto for him)

I read your post, but, becaue I live in the Jacksonville area and am only a
young teen, I would not have any transportation to the areas you said you
were visiting.

I think that this is part of a greater trend, though.  Many more things are
happening privately, especially in small groups, such as LUGs. These days, I
think that a direct e-mail to the person will get a faster response then a
post.  I guess the logic would be, 'if there's only a few people in the
target audience, then why do things publicly?'

In my case, I would prefer public communication- even though I can't attend
the major events here in Florida, I like to be kept up to date with news.

Sorry Frank, I didn't see that post! I have not looked though the local
Florida post for weeks, just not anything to read and like you have
discovered it seems no one is looking in. When I have posted in Florida all
I hear is crickets, oh and JHK:)

:)

Yeah, I try.

I think some of the international groups have more activity.

I'm also curious, how many new LUGs or LTCs formed in 2002? Are we
reaching saturation? I suspect so. I'm sure there are two or three times
as many AFOLs as we see on Lugnet (in the US, in Europe, there must be
many more, but then Germany has it's own forums in 1000steine). I don't
see anything likely to result in a dramatic increase in fans, though I
think the new focus on trains will result in some slow growth as parents
get into LEGO trains with their kids, and become AFOLs themselves (but I
don't expect this to cause near the influx as Mindstorms and Star Wars
each did). If TLC had acquired the LOTR license, there might have been
an influx there (but I don't think that would have as much an effect as
Star Wars did - remember many Star Wars AFOLs were kids when they saw
the first movie and probably tried building Star Wars models from their
LEGO bricks).

The main growth area I see is in events, and even there, we may be close
to saturation.

This would make a nice topic at BricksWest AFoL round table...

-JHK
(Who only saw this thread because he subscribed to GFLUG)