 Local / United Kingdom / England / 92
91  |  93
Subject:
The Brickish Association & events (was: Oct-Mar Legofest Any interest?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk.en, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:14:17 GMT

I'd like to second Jon's comments, and add my own on some more general
points.

One of the aims of the Brickish Association is to build the AFOL community
in the UK. Part of this is encouraging local groups to get together and
organise their own events, whether public or private. We can help, by
providing coordination and publicity, but there are only a few of us
actually running things, and we'd like to have some time to build as well!

So this is a request for mutual help: if you'd like to see an event in your
area, let us know. We can help, but you'll have to do a bit of the
organising yourself.

This brings me on to another point. In the past, our fests have tended to be
private affairs. Increasingly, people are now holding events where the main
aim is to show our creations to the public. There are several cases that
have come to light recently, where people have been doing this on their own,
and we in the online community haven't known a thing about it! The one that
David talked about at the beginning of this thread is a good example.

More and more people are becoming more confident about this hobby, and we
need to start exploiting the fact and getting ourselves into the public eye.
We need to start putting on more shows. Fests are great fun, and we need
them as well, but shows will increase our credibility.

Perhaps this sounds too serious for some people. That's ok, it takes all
sorts :-)  But but some of us want to start pushing the boundaries, and see
where it takes us. We've already had a small display at LEGOland Windsor,
and hopefully, there's more to come. The NBLTC has displayed a 21'x8' layout
at the Steam museum in Swindon. There are others, like David Graham and Mark
Bellis, who do displays on their own. We need to do more of these things,
and shout about them.

Oops! Sorry, David. I've hijacked your thread a bit and gone off on one.
Just to complete the job, I've cross-posted to loc.uk, and set follow-ups to
there. As I use a newsreader, and I hadn't subscribed to loc.uk.en (no-one
really uses it - should we start now?), I didn't see any of this thread
until someone pointed it out to me.

--
Tony Priestman
Chairman

"David Jolley" <Trapnet2@aol.com> wrote in message
This all sounds very promising. If anyone "senior" wants to check the • venue
out for suitability I'm sure visits could be arranged. It also sounds like
there are people willing and far more able to cope with the orgainisation • of
this, so again if you want more details or information, I'll happily do my
bit.