 Local / United Kingdom / 7583
7582  |  7584
Subject:
Got my S@H order today: don't buy Darth Vader!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:22:24 GMT

Those that know me know that I can't resist anything new, so I ordered quite
a few 2002 sets last week.

Here are a few first impressions:

Racers: Much better than expected, after last year's atrocities. The
pull-back motor in the small £2.99 ones is incredibly powerful: Pull back 2
inches to get 2 metres travel on  a wooden floor! Interestingly, there seem
to be two types of motor housing: one with one screw holding the parts
together, and one with two. I undid the two screws version and the pull-back
motor is a joy to behold: it's a miracle of engineering! It's about 10 x 12
x 4 mm (from memory) and made by a 3rd party, whose name I wrote down but
now can't find :-) There's also some useful pieces in interesting colours in
them, and apart from the 'orrible minifig body I would not call them
juniorised.

Alpha Team: I didn't buy any of last year's, but I like underwater sets a
lot, so bought a few for 'evaluation'. The Ogel Shark Sub has some nice
parts, as Jason has stated, but I don't like it much, and the minifigs are
just too evil. The squid is a nice idea, but don't they have 8 legs? Perhaps
I'll buy another set... The Alpha Team minifigs are made of the new dark
blue (as also used in R2D2) which is very nice.

Star Wars: Not built them yet, but I had to open Darth Vader just to check
it was all there! It comes in a massive box (about A3 size) but weighs
nothing! Inside there's 4 bags of bits, his helmet and a nice cape. I'm sure
it'll look excellent when made up, but for £35, you must be joking!

Blacksmith's Shop. After Darth Vader, this came as a pleasant surprise. The
box has a healthy weight to it, and looks to be well worth the money. It
would have been nice to have a photo and 'profile' of Daniel Siskind and how
the set came into being, but instead he is mentioned only on the box and
instruction cover.

Overall, better than anticipated...

Huw