 Local / United Kingdom / 7430
Re: Saw the movie today!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:37:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
I'm glad to say it does live up to all the hype. Everything shown is exactly
as I imagined it to be, having read the books.

I saw it yesterday and was surprised that it was pretty close to how I imagined
it also, except for Hagrid's Hut-- I had wondered why in the world LEGO would
make his hut even look like THAT, never mind the controversy over the cheapo
roof-- but that is how it looks in the movie.  The movie also had his hut being
far too close to the castle-- it's supposed to be a daring adventure for the
kids to sneak out to see Hagrid in the middle of the night, which they do
several times more in subsequent books.

The characters were particularly well-cast, although I did get tired of Ron
Weasley's perpetual pout after a while.  Hagrid was great-- now I really
appreciate the LEGO rendition of his minifig!  I wasn't completely satisfied
with the appearance of Voldemort's face although I can't suggest a better
alternative (here LEGO definitely did it better than the movie! :-)).

My only reservation is that, understandably, the story has been abbreviated,
so consequently some of the characters or scenes do not have the significance
they do in the book. I won't say too much in order not so spoil it for you.

Yeah, I spent the first half of the movie squirming with impatience while the
background of the story was being set up.  But it seemed the rest of the
audience (including my two kids with whom I read the book) was rapt, and I
normally find it difficult to even sit through a full-length movie, so it was
pretty absorbing.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have not read the book what they
think of it...

My husband liked it, but he seemed to notice things like special effects more
than anything-- HP isn't within his normal genre of choice.

Speaking as one who generally can't bear to see the movie if I've read the
book, it was worth seeing.  But it's even more worthwhile reading the books.

Oh, about the LOTR preview-- c'mon, everyone in the story is supposed to look
like gnomes or dwarves or something, right?  At least that's what I thought in
junior high when I tortured myself by reading the Hobbit and half the trilogy
because a highly regarded friend was enthralled by it.  Geez, if I had pictured
the characters looking like they do in the preview I might have gotten a little
more enjoyment out of the books! ;-)

Maggie C.