 Local / United Kingdom / 7322
Re: 9V Electric Wires / Train Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:53:46 GMT

Jason J. Railton (<GLtLBq.EJL@lugnet.com>) wrote...
I'm also looking to modify my train controller to output a steady 9V supply
on a Lego wire.  Is anyone else interested in this mod?  If it works, I can
probably make up some more - if I can get some wires, of course.  I could
offer to trade the mod for wires, I suppose.  It would be a simple fit,
possibly even no soldering, just open the case, fit, then screw back
together.

In lugnet.loc.uk, Tony Priestman writes:
What's wrong with just turning the knob to full on? This has the
advantage of being able to switch the +/-. This is so obvious a question
there must be something else. What have I missed?

Well what you'll miss is your nice trains as they go flying off at the corners!
The point is to still use the train controller for its primary purpose, to
whit, controlling trains.  But, to also tap off the main supply a steady 9V
for running other (technic) motorised features on the layout, like my new
windmill.  I've also built two point motors for each end of a passing loop,
which I want to control with a polarity switch.

There's a great big discussion in .trains at the moment about reducing the
output range of a controller for kiddie use.  I've just taken mine apart and
was surprised by its contents.  Needless to say they've come on a little bit
from a big chunky rheostat.  Nor is the controlling gizmo inside a
transistor, as it first appears.

Jason J Railton