 Local / United Kingdom / 7019
Re: Repairing minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:57:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.uk, Stephen Kane writes:
I've thought of seeking out replacement arms to solve the problem
but thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had a go at repairing
broken arms. Can replacement minifig arms be purchased anywhere and how
hard is it to remove the arms from a minfig anyway?

It's probably not worth the effort to repair this element -- and even if you
could glue it together or something, the glue would likely interfere with
the replacement of the hand into the hand hole on the arm as I assume the
crack extends all the way to the end of the "wrist."

Replacement arms of many colors can be found in any minifigure set, I often
buy the town minifig sets with these possibilities in mind.  You could also
check eBay or Brickbay for cheap minifigures comprised of the component
colors you need.

The arms are easily removed by merely "popping" them out of their sockets
(there is a small ball end that goes into the arm hole on the torso
element).  You may wish to watch out for another kind of damage that arises
from excessive arm trading on a torso element -- the torso can be cracked
from the arm hole towards the bottom of the torso element, and this can lead
to an arm that will no longer hold its position and swings freely.  My
efforts to prevent this include avoiding the removal of the arm element
while it is in a "down" position and I instead remove the arm while it is in
an "up" position (as if the minifigure has its arms in the air).  While
actually popping the arm in or out, I compress the torso element slightly on
either side of the underarm seam in the hopes of lending sufficient support
to prevent the aforementioned crack from occurring.

Hope this helps...

-- Hop-Frog (dismemberer of minifigs)