 Local / United Kingdom / 6976
Re: UKLug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:06:25 GMT

It needs fiddling with.
It's not too graphically intensive, most of the graphics are tileing but if
people find it slow it'll need looking at. for some reason this server is
incredibly slow from our office but quite acceptable on my 56k modem

Imaginet give a really good hosting service but they aern't competativly
priced for small sites. Fortunately I work for them so it makes it a bit
easier :) There is nothing to say it cant be hosted anywhere else if people
would rather it be, there is something to be said for not tying it too much
to one person and where they work.

brickset is a great site and the design suits it perfectly, the same way
lugnet is a simple design that works really well. However, we are looking at
sites with a different function. Lugnet is a newsgroup and reference,
brickset is a reference, I see ukLug as more of a presentation site for AFOL
of Lego in the UK. Its a community frontend which says what we are and what
we do. We can put news up, events up etc, but we discuss them here on
Lugnet.

Thats how I see it anyway, others may see it differently, hopefully they let
their feelings be known before I go too far down the wrong route  =)

James

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@cix.co.uk> wrote in message

"James Stacey" <James@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message
OK I've put the bare bones of a site up at www.minifig.co.uk\uklug

It's looking good. It loads a bit slow for my taste (too many graphics?, • but
then my approach, at www.brickset.com, may look a bit bare)

What are imaginet like for hosts? I am finding my NT host a bit slow (as • are
a lot of others, it seems)

Huw