 Local / United Kingdom / 6705
Re: New to UK/Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:12:52 GMT

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Scotland! St Andrews is one of the better places in Scotland to
live, I am sure you will enjoy your time there.

Thanks for the welcome. St Andrews is a fantastic place to live even though
it is a little on the small side. Half of the full-time staff in my
department seem to spend a majority of their time on the Old Course. Life's
good being an academic.

From time to time, you may find used Lego advertised in The Courier on a
Saturday. Also, check the weekly "adtrader" for used items, this is now
also online:
www.adtrader.co.uk

Although I never advise anyone to go to Dundee, it has a toymaster and a
TRU. Cupar also has a toymaster, but prices are on the high side. I am not
sure if any Lego is sold in St Andrews? As far as I know, Dunfermline,
Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy only have Agros, Supermarkets and Woolworths to
get Lego from.

I've visted Dundee although many people warned me not to bother. It appears
to have a rather bad reputation. I've also visited Cupar and been to the
toy shop you referred to. St Andrews actually has a small toy shop on South
Street (near the arch). The owner is quite friendly and assures me that he
can get in any LEGO set provided I let him know the set number.

David Grahan lives in Aberdour, and he does train shows a couple of times
a year:
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=6639

My wife's family lives near St Andrews - I shall let you buy me a drink
the next time I am up your way.

Ummmmm ... okay! :-)

Scott A
(Edinburgh)

PS Buy/make a kite - St Andrews beaches are great for kiting!

Nice beaches here ... I hadn't thought of kite-flying but will investigate
now that you have mentioned it.

Cheers,

Stephen