 Local / United Kingdom / 6004
Re: Gosport - where?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:23:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Andrew Summersgill writes:
I just kind of lurk here most of the time - in fact I don't visit all that
often - but I just read about the Gosport thingy coming up - where exactly
is everyone meeting and when?

Fort Brockhurst, Gosport, nr Portsmouth.  Saturday 28th April, 10:00-18:00.

Oh yeah - and stupid question of the month - can anyone just turn up?

Erm. Well.  I'd rather have names in advance, so I can leave a list of names
at the entrance.  It's an English Heritage site that you would normally have
to pay on the gate to get in.

For other fests at people's houses, it's kind of polite to contact them
first too.

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
I'd like to take Andrew's email as an opportunity to de-lurk too.  I'm
really interested in coming along to Gosport if you'll have me but I have a
question about the format of Fests.  Do you each bring your own bricks and
build from them (not very different to being at home), all throw your bits
in a pile (how do you know whose are whose) or do you hand your bricks to
someone else to see what they can do with them?

Yes, you'll be welcome.

There doesn't tend to be a lot of building going on - though it would be
nice to see more.  I don't know if anyone would want to pool bricks though,
because of the difficulty of separating them.  You could build a modular
model, building a separate part each.

It's mostly a case of displaying what you've got and what you've made,
exchanging ideas and swapping, buying and auctioning sets, pieces or bundles
of bits.  Stuff like trains, we can pool track and wagons for a big layout.

You should be able to recognise your own MOCs*, but if you're bringing
COTS** parts or models (e.g. 918s) then it'd be a good idea to add a sticky
name label underneath or inside.  That way, we can put them all together for
a display, but make sure you get yours back at the end.  With train track,
for instance, you could label your pieces, or just count what you put in,
and take that many out.  Even just keep to your own layout - no one will mind.

Jason's suggestion that you have to bring a model doesn't worry me by the
way, but it might other newbies, what do you think?

Well, I didn't mean you have to bring MOCs.  Any old COTS model will do.  An
under-£2 mini set from Woolworths if you like.  I just meant that I want
people to participate, not just turn up, nose around, and slope off.  It's a
get-together, not a public display.  It also makes people feel a bit more
secure about putting their models out if they at least know the names of
who's turning up.  This doesn't mean I want to exclude new people - newbies
are always welcome.  Just that I want to encourage everyone to join in the
community spirit of the thing.

Jason J Railton

MOC = My Own Creation
COTS = Commercial Off-The-Shelf, i.e. an actual Lego model