 Local / United Kingdom / 5798
Re: Is there a country wide shortage of 2001 SW sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Daniel Crichton writes:
I've been to my local TRU (Solihull superstore) a few times in the past
couple of weeks and they've only had 1 measly Technic Stormtrooper. Either
somebody is beating me to the 2001 SW sets as they come into stock, or TRU
just can't get hold of them.

I get the feeling that they just can't be bothered.  I asked about new Lego
and was told: "The Bionicle sets are at the front - there the one's
everyone's asking about".

They had loads of TIEs and Shuttles a week before Xmas,...

Then you were lucky.  Ocean Park hasn't re-stocked since before Christmas.

but since then the LEGO shelves have been devastated with just
UCS, Falcon, and a smattering of older sets kicking around the shelves.

Old stock from the storeroom.  A lot of battered boxes was it?

And there's not much LOM either :(  They're expecting a delivery today so
hopefully I'll find some new sets tonight. BTW: the sets that don't seem to
be leaving the shelves are the Create'N'Race and the MyBot sets, they even
had boxes of these on the floor in front of the shelving.

Dan

I was told there'd be a new delivery in February.  Bionicle only.  They have
2001 SW on the store computer, and a delivery has 'left the warehouse' which
could take 'up to two weeks to arrive' - how far away is this warehouse?

Basically, Toys R Us have realised that kids might have more money to spend,
but it's still the parents who drive them out to the 'retail park', and
ultimately control the spending - and they're generally pretty easily led by
what's on the shelf because come the end of the week they're as tired as the
TRU staff.  So, just stock the stuff from the very latest TV ad. and the
rest of the stock can be any old junk.  It'll sell, so long as they don't
put anything better on the shelves.

Jason J Railton.