 Local / United Kingdom / 5415
5414  |  5416
Subject:
LLW/LSB report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:48:46 GMT

I braved the weather today to take the kids to see Santa at LLW, and also in
the hope of snapping up some 2001 sets.

Sadly, the shop had no 2001 sets at all except for 5 LoM sets. They were
reducing a lot of Star Wars sets by 50% including the Y/Tie.

The Creation Centre/Racers ride is at last open. It's not too exciting to be
honest. There's an absolutely massive mock-up of a Virgin 747 cockpit on the
ground floor, and a shop dedicated to 'racers' merchanside. On the first
floor there is a small model making shop, in which someone was making a
mosaic of a painting. You can but peer through the glass into this area, so
there isn't much to see.

There was also a small display of the history of LEGO toys, including a few
wooden ones, but it's not particularly impressive; certainly not as
comprehensive as the one at Billund, which itself could be much better.

Only about 50% of rides were working due to the snow (glad I didn't pay to
get in!). Miniland was neat in the snow -- most of the waterways had frozen
over, so it made for some interesting photographs.

We finished there early so, disappointed with the lack of 2001 stuff, I went
home via Bluewater. But incredibly the shop was not open! They apparently
could not open the roller door. Doh! So, all I could do was peer in at the
2001 sets I wanted...

That's enough rambling -- I'm off to build the 4 LoM sets I did manage to
get. I must say I am impressed with 7311, the small grey/green thingy. The
craft itself is a bit daft, but the selection pieces including some in the
new green colour are excellent for a sub £5 set. There's certainly no sign
of Jr-isation.

Huw