 Local / United Kingdom / 5160
5159  |  5161
Subject:
Scotfest 2000 reminder / open invitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 16:03:41 GMT

Just a reminder that Scotfest 2000 will be held on Saturday 9th December at
my house, near Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. It is open to everyone interested -
please contact me directly for further info, directions etc if you would
like to come. It will be an all-day affair, food and drink will be provided,
and there is limited overnight accomodation available. Note that flights
from Stansted to nearby Prestwick are less than £30 return by Ryanair -
contact Huw
for details, he is co-ordinating Southern attendance.

Current attendee list includes; Huw Millington, Tony Priestman, Phil
Traviss, Scott Arthur, David Graham, with Jon Hayward and Chris Dee as
maybe's.

As a bit of fun, I have set two 'great egg race' type building challenges.
Bearing in mind that some people are flying up, I've
kept them small. Both will be judged on the day of the fest, maybe even
a prize for each! More than one entry in each is permissible.

1. Build the tallest, unsupported lego structure from conventional lego
pieces, all of which must fit into a standard Smartie tube (not the 10%
extra free ones either!). The tube must not be distorted in any way, and
the lid must fit as normal. The structure must stand unaided for at
least 30 seconds on our kitchen worktop (which is totally smooth).

2. There will be two house-bricks 60cm apart on our kitchen worktop.
Again using standard lego pieces, build a structure to span the gap in
between which will support two tins of cat food. The tins must be one on
top of the other, and at the exact centre of the span. (The tins have
those bases which interlock). The winner will be the one who uses the
smallest number of pieces. The maximum allowable dimension of any piece
is *8.  The structure must not touch the worktop at any point, only the
two bricks.

Have fun trying - I'll even accept postal entries from those of you who
can't make it!