 Local / United Kingdom / 5154
Re: Proposals for New Metro Terminus Station Facade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:28:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

There is a row of plates running along the bottom of the wall.
The curve is achieved via hinges. It runs across smooth tiles, with the
occasional stud where the holes match up.

Ah, I get it.  Very nice!  I work in an office with a great big double-curved
window, and with the bulk packs now available I had been trying to think of a
way to model it.

The diagonal is the same running over tiles with the occasional stud- but
not hinges - there are a couple of round ended technic plates used to
connect the diagonal to the straight wall

Ahh....

Even though there are few studs joining on the curve and diagonal it is
still quite sturdy and can be picked up.

That's the true test of something that kind of works vs. real building. :D

This is progress for you!

The old facade is not destroyed though. It is being relocated to a new site.
Watch this space!

Heh.  Well, to be clear, I love this facade, but I was trying to respond as a
citizen of LEGO towns in general.

In the town I used to live in, there was a privately-owned department store
that had closed down years before even I moved there.  It sat unused on pretty
prime real estate (one side is on the main street, the other is on the river)
before someone finally bought it to develop apartments.  When they tore down
the store, they left the old art-deco facade and built the new building around
it!  It's quite impressive.  I was very happy they left that bit of history.

http://www.waltham-community.org/phGroverCronin.html

http://www.dwellings.com/dw/cronin/

eric