 Local / United Kingdom / 5152
Re: Proposals for New Metro Terminus Station Facade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:11:06 GMT

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message

To be honest, I'm of mixed feelings.  I think the new facade, while • *extremely*
ingenious technically, lacks some of the warmth and panache of the current
Georgian facade.

I am very impressed by the engineering feats of the rounded corner, and
diagonal corner entrance, however, and will indubitably spend time • examining
them to attempt to learn how they were acheived.

There is a row of plates running along the bottom of the wall.
The curve is achieved via hinges. It runs across smooth tiles, with the
occasional stud where the holes match up.
The diagonal is the same running over tiles with the occasional stud- but
not hinges - there are a couple of round ended technic plates used to
connect the diagonal to the straight wall

Even though there are few studs joining on the curve and diagonal it is
still quite sturdy and can be picked up.

Perhaps if some features of the older facade could be saved and worked • into a
new facade- or even just "suggested" in modern size and materials...

Yes, I did think of leaving the central arch from the old facade in place.

It seems like every time you turn around in this city, buildings are being • torn
down and replaced overnight!  I think this is an excellent opportunity to
retain some links to the past.

This is progress for you!

The old facade is not destroyed though. It is being relocated to a new site.
Watch this space!

regards
lawrence