 Local / United Kingdom / 4696
Re: Train Shows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:19:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
Lawrence,

It's nice to know that someone else is interested in Lego train shows.

Yes - I'm all ears David

I have always thought it would be nice to have a Lego train club in the UK
like they have in the US but whenever I have posted a notice about a show I
have had more response from the US than from the UK.  It was nice the other
week to meet Scott A , the first person to have responded to one of my
postings.
My shows are different to the ones in the US as I let the children drive the
trains and I don't have wonderful buildings etc as I only collect trains.

You seem to be the exception - most LEGO train fans like the LEGO product for
it's flexibility although I for one look at each element with an eye to it's
potential in a 'model railway' situation. My personal thoughts are similar -
I'm really only interested in Technic/RCX etc in so much as how it can be
applied to work points & automatic signals etc. The usual railway buildings
are of course equally important and provide a good target for the left-over
elements!

About a year ago I posted a notice about about the forthcomimg NEC exhibition
to see if anyone was interested and only got one response which I did not
think was enough to follow up.  I do wonder if I will get invited back again
next year (2001) and if more peple would be interested to be involved.  Seeing
the trains at one of the Legofest's shows there could be some interest?

Reaction at a model railway exhibition is very favourable as I often get
invited back, the most common comment is 'I never knew Lego did trains', the
children and their parents love it and you get the few children who don't want
to leave.  I always feel the true model railway enthousiast doesn't approve,
but the more enlightened ones realise that Lego trains are a good intrduction
to the hobby - they are more suited to children than Hornby trains which are
too fiddly.

Having had (and still got) convntional model trains I would totally agree. I
am however surprised at the reation you have had at exhibitions. Of the last
few I've been to (regular model railway shows) 50% of attendees were of
retirement age or over, not that this is a problem in itself, but the attitude
screamed 'THESE ARE MODELS, NOT TOYS!'. It's really, really difficult for me
because my girls (4 and 7) love playing with TANGIBLE trains (LEGO of course)
and fully expect the models on display to be just as exciting. I noticed the
same expression on all the kids' faces at the last exhibition I went to - all
a bit sombre.

What the hobby is crying out for is a replacement of the origuinal Hornby O
guage series - this, at least, was durable enough to be played with but also
had the same 'working model' features which LEGO trains can provide. Indeed, I
see LEGO trains as the modern equivalent of this series as the coarse scale is
insignificant when compared with the play value. After all, we all like to
play trains don't we?

It is great to hear of your successes at these exhibitions David. I would love
to assist at the next one (time and venue permitting) because I'm passionate
about the hobby in general and of course LEGO in particular.

It is too late to do too much for the NEC this year as I have given up my free
exhibitors passes to the people who are providing transport but you could come
and visit (the admision charge is a bit expensive ), bring some trains,
rolling stock, buildings or something if you want and help man the layout.  I
have already said how big a table I want so we cann't break the PNLTC record
this year!

BUT WE CAN MAKE THE MOST REALISTIC LEGO MODEL TRAINS EVER CAN'T WE?
Jon

Sorry I got a bit carried away but I hope this has answers your questions.

Regards,
David

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
This is probably targetted at David Graham, though anyone else is of course
free to chip in!

What reaction is there to Lego at regular train shows?

I notice that David is exhibiting at a big NEC one in November.

What does this cost and entail?

I wonder if anyone else would be interested in doing a joint lego train • layout
there. I was thinking along the lines of this PNLTC stuff I keep seeing.
Could be interesting to do a UK event like that.

Is it too late for NEC this year?

regards
lawrence