 Local / United Kingdom / 4625
Re: Thanks guys! (& my projects update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:47:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
Thanks to everyone who came on Saturday -- it was a great day. I hope you
all enjoyed it as much as I did. I ended the day with a stack of sets AND
more money that I started with, so I don't quite know how that happened :-)

Huw

Well, thanks for hosting it!  I had a great day too (and I found my way home,
despite them closing part of the A27!  Thanks for the tip).

I must admit I didn't come out so well on the cash front, but I ended up with
some great sets and a ton of handy elements (cheers Jon).  And Huw had a 6890
Delta 1 Explorer and Shuttle all along!  I don't mind bumping up his bank
balance if I come away with something like this.

Anyway, an update on some of the projects I brought along:

The couplings on the Caledonian train can take corners.  I don't know about
straight/curve transitions (someone nabbed all the straights), but they can't
handle zig-zag curves.  I need to come up with a new type of coupling, since I
have no magnets.

If I put tyred train wheels on the Pacific, it actually lifts it fractionally,
so that the large driving wheels don't always rest on the track.  The bogeys
and tender have enough wheels to keep it in line, so it actually gets around
quite well, despite the main 'driving' wheels regularly leaving the rails.  I
suspect it could handle points and crossings like this, too.

The carousel is now working, with minifigs and horses going round and up and
down.  The mechanism is even smaller now, thanks to some gears from Jon.  If
you thought using a differential as a concentric drive shaft was clever, you
should see this one.

See you next month, then...

JJ.