 Local / United Kingdom / 3932
Re: UKLUG (Was: Re: LUG World Map 1st Version complete.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:20:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Franks writes:
What is UKLUG?

United Kingdom LEGO User Group - a group of people based in the UK to provide
an online UK base for LEGO Enthuiasts.  The newsgroup playing a central role
for Q&A plus all the other pieces of information such as addresses and phone
numbers of shops, etc.  The ITLUG page rather sums it up
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari/itlug_chi_e.html (taken out of a frame
ITLUG.org > What's ITLUG?)

Who is in it?

Whoever wants to be, usually readers of the newsgroup and attendees of events.

Why are parts of Ireland not in it?

Well Republic of Ireland is a separate country and Northern Ireland is a sea
away.  Wouldn't it be better logistically if there was a United Ireland Group
IELUG or something since they are all on the same island - works out cheaper on
travel.

What are the
membership restrictions?

Be a citizen of the UK?

Are there any membership fees?

No, the registration of UKLUG.org.uk was free however if it was needed to be
moved to a faster server then a voluntary contribution would be asked for to
pay for the site - if we become many then the cost will be low.  At the moment
it would cost me £80 to break out of Freenetname plus the setting up costs of a
new server,

What will it do?

Be a starting website for any UK LEGO fan.  Be a centre of information.

What
won't it do?

Use of Advanced Server Pages etc. because I haven't got the capability yet.

Will it allow citizens of other countries, or citizens in the UK
who are currently permanent residents in other countries membership?

Don't know.

Six months on, none of these questions have been answered!

Maybe because most of them haven't been asked.

Another question, what is the purpose of uklug.org.uk when you've intergrated
it all in loc.uk?  Most of the stuff inside loc.uk was original UKLUG design
ideas.

I'm not sure if we can/should claim a place on the map before we have formed
:)

Well we have a website, regular meetings and members page - that's formed
enough.

Discuss.

We have to put baseplate down before we can attach the bricks.

Carbon 60