 Local / United Kingdom / 283
Re: The end of the UK Shell promotion...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:09:58 GMT

During a chat with the owner of my local Shell station, he told me that the
Lego promotion had been 2 years in the making!  Apparently, the plan was to
launch in time for Christmas 1997, but some aspects were not in place to
meet the launch deadline, so it was postponed until the following year.  He
was always delighted to "get rid of the stuff" as it was clogging up his
stockroom.  I felt duty bound to assist in what ever way I could :)  In
return for my initial £10 investment in Shell petrol, I managed to relieve
stockroom congestion to the tune of 6 Ferrari's, 10 each of the medium sets
and 12-15 each of the mini toys.  On a trip to one of the larger Shell
stations, I filled up with £20 of petrol and tried to negotiate 2 mini sets
but was refused by the power mad (female) assistant.  Needless to say, I
didn't go there again.  Anyway, back to the point...my friendly Shell man
said that he had been allocated far too many sets (2 gross of each I think)
of which he only managed to shift about half or less.  All of which begs the
question as to whether the campaign has been considered a success or not.
It would be interesting to obtain some feedback from Shell stations around
the UK on whether the promotion was a success or a flop.  Some pertinent
questions might be:

How many sets were allocated?
Approx. % returned unsold?
Which were the most popular, mini, premium or Ferrari?

might make interesting reading

Cheers
[SteveScott]