 Local / United Kingdom / 2394
Re: A BIGGER LegoFest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.eu
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
I notice several posts discussing next years lego fests.
I am really looking forward to going to one, so far the last couple since I
have been active here have clashed with other things so I couldnt come.

Maybe you are interested in the EuroFest? Check out the thread:
http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=389
Todd created a new group lugnet.loc.eu suited for such European scale event

Things like
1. Hold it in a proper hall

On this scale, yep

2. Have stalls/tables for sellers

would be great, it could also 'sponsor' the event. On most fairs etc. if a
shop wants to sell they have to pay a fee for having a stall.

3. Try to get some offical lego participation (like they seem to do in US
fests with Mindstorms and such). LegoLand is TV area, get them to send a model
builder along.

Maybe even models (like the ones they have/had in the Lego World Show displays)

4. Perhaps some sponsorship from a major retailers (e.g.Entertainer who are
TV'ish), who could sell new sets, especially bring big loads of old discounted
stock

I'd love to see that :-)

5. Advertise it in model magazines, local free newspapers, lego magazine(?)
6. Encourage participation from non lugnet folks, non internet folks (hence
the advert in model magazines), target all the local schools (some around here
have Dacta labs)
7. do something attention grabing. like go for some world record in lego
construction (what about the worlds longest lego railway track layout, largest
tower, biggest model of the millenium dome)

All advertisement ideas are welcome ofcourse!

8. have a mindstorms 'robowars'

Maybe also some other kind of modelling competition?

I dont think this would compete with the current legofests really, as it would
be a different type of event, with potentially 100's of attendees (it would
have to attact 100's to make it worthwhile)
Or am I thinking too big? Would there really be enough interest out there?

Too big? We're thinking Euro-scale here!

greetings,
  Frank