 Local / United Kingdom / 2069
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 03:05:52 GMT

It's the policy of many retail industries that till shortages come out of
pocket for the people on shift.  That is why many retail industry workers • have
a policy that till overages(?) go into a pot that is used to cover • shortages.

When I was in high school I worked at a Crown gas station.  For those of you
who never heard of Crown, back in the early 80's it was the last hold out
for full service gas pumping.  We would regularly do $8k to $15k on an eight
hour shift, about half in cash, half in credit cards.

Every week when we got paid the manager cashed our checks on the spot and
subtracted our shortages.  It amazed me how some people could be so careless
with money.  It was not unusual for some employees to be short $20 or more
in a week.  Now this may not sound like much but when your paycheck was
$150, $20 bucks was quite a bit.  Personally, I don't recall ever being more
than $5 short in a week although I imagine I must have had one or two bad
weeks.  Sometimes we were responsible for an individual group of pumps,
other times we were all pooled together (three or four employees).  I once
saw an employee drop his "roll" (wad of cash) on the ground on a breezy day.
Amazingly he was able to get most of it back.

Anytime we had overages, which were rare, we split the money among the
people working the shift.  The most I ever remember being over was about $8
collectively.

Over the two years I worked there, we had our share of dishonest people.
One guy got caught with credit card slips that he had custom assembled.
They had one top (customer) copy and two bottom copies.  The customer would
unknowningly sign both bottom copies which he would then throw in the pile
and take out cash in the amount of the extra credit card slip.  Other people
would buy lunch out of their working bank roll which would then show up as a
shortage for the whole group.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh