 Local / Sverige / 2572
Re: RobotWars in Sweden
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:22:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
Have you all been inspired by the television series "Robot Wars" on
Discovery channel? Almost all of those robots you have built was on that
tv-show :)

I suppose so :) I spent a great deal of time on http://www.battlebots.com/ prior
to building my robot.

The perhaps greatest inspiration since a long time is this page, however:
http://www.teamdelta.com/roboglad/

Apart from the already mentioned rtlT event "Smash'em up derby":
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-022203-index.html

Thanks for all the kind comments BTW. But I have to confess; My both weapons
sucked! The flipping-arm was to weak and the two rotating wheels stoped spinning
on first hit and never got back to speed until the next match. This due to me
using a small 9V-battery pack and the thermal resistor did not like the two old
motors being stalled. With a normal 9V-battery case it works like a charm but
the nights got late so I never tested it with the small 9V-box. I had three
power sources (redundancy sounded like a good idea), 1 small 9V-box for the
pneumatic compressor, 1 small 9V-box for the large wheels and two large 9V-boxes
hooked up in serial with NiMh-batteries giving a 14V supply to the eight (!)
drive motors. The wedge design was the superior "weapon" of the three. Gotta get
creative for next time and use another robot design.

Here's how to connect two 9V sources into 18V (or 14,4 in my case since I'm a
chicken) using only unmodified LEGO-parts:
http://www.teamdelta.com/roboglad/vconv.htm

And I love the LEGO-version of it. Are there some movies of the bot's in
action too?

We got about 1Gb of raw movie clips from a digital camera (ie. not that great
video but enough for Internet). When that lot get's edited into something a
little more usable I don't know. But I hope it's in the works :) So, stay tuned!