 Local / Nederland / 1330
Re: Flash Speeder en Desert skiff bij TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:40:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
My girlfriend would love to be as rusty as you are... Then again she's
already fluent in english, gaelic and french.
Give us a shout when you are in Leiden...

   My girlfriend is living on the Haarlemmerstraat next year while
   she does her work in Den Haag.  I'm stopping through early in the
   month on my way to South Africa.  (Fortunately her conversational
   Dutch is better than mine, because, well, haar oren werkt beter
   dus kunt ze de woorden beter verstaan.  (English really needs
   facile, distinctive words for "understand by ear" versus "understand
   in mind."  We do have them, but people look at you funny for using
   them because they have lots of syllables.  But I'm told that's
   how you spot Germans, because they don't have begrijpen and so
   always use verstaan.)

   Gaelic, hm?  Ierse?  There are very, very few Gaelic speakers out
   there, but you can get a lot of money if you are willing to learn.
   The Irish and Scottish governments promote it heavily.  Not too
   surprisingly it attracts a lot of Americans, who then do not make
   it through the program because they have no background in foreign
   language (the greatest fault of the US educational system, I think).

P.S. How cheap were those Flash Speeders over there? There must be 100's of
them on Bricklink...

   I bought them for $2.44 apiece back when they first came out (2000!).
   But as of now they are on perpetual TRU clearance for $6.98 each.
   If you ever pick a time to visit the US, come in mid-January, when
   the Target Clearance is in full swing.  ~80% off retail is very nice.

   groet

   LFB