 Local / Italia / 11753
Re: PAYPAL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.it, Mario Ferrari writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote:

Hi everyone (Ciao a tutti),

Ciao Pedro

This week I became aware of some advantages of using PAYPAL, and I
went to their site to learn more. But the info they provide for
non-english readers is a bit complicated, and so I thought it might be
a good idea to ask here (loc.it) for some help.
My main concerns are:
- When I sign up, what do I need? Must I have a bank account "linked"
to the paypal account? Do I need a Credit Card?

You need a credit card. For some countries you can link your paypal
account to a bank account, but is currently possible only for the US, UK,
Germany, France and a few more. No Italy :-( Don't know about Portugal.

Blast! :-(
I really should find a job... (to get a CC, of course!)

- How is it used (commonly)?

It is widely used, and works generally well. One of the known issues is
that sometimes, with the excuse of some verification, they "hold" the
money for some days. I mean, the buyer is charged, and the seller not yet
credited. But I guess this is part of their way of getting a business out
of it.

Is it tolerable, that kind of occurrences? I mean, is it only a delay? Do
they warn us at least if the money *is already* in their posession (after
being paid, before being credited)?

- Suppose someone sends me money, and I intend to "liquidate" it
(convert to cash), or deposit it in my bank account. How does it work?

Unfortunately you can receive money ONLY if your paypal account is linked
to a bank account. And, as I said, this is not possible for all the
countries.

I see.
A tricky question, here: what if I have an account in a US bank, with a
portuguese branch (where I deposit and withdraw)? Would that allow me to
overcome this issue?

- Suppose the opposite: I want to convert some cash into PAYPAL credit
to purchase something. How easy is that? How is it done? Can I do it
directly from my bank account?

This is very simple. Just order a payment to paypal, and they will charge
your credit card/bank account.

Sounds easy enough. I assume it is done on-line?

I'm a bit frightened by all the legal language and such on the site,
perhaps I can undersand better with your explanations. Besides, you
too are from Europe - maybe your experience with the service is closer
to what mine will be :-)

I used it for maybe ten transactions, with no problems at all.

That gives me more confidence - thank you! :-)

Thanks for any help you can provide (Grazie!),

Prego!

Ancora un'altra volta,

Grazie!!! :-)

Pedro
(wondering how I can overcome the country problem...)