 Local / European Union / 116
Re: Euro
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:22:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.eu, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.loc.eu, Todd Thuma writes:
What's a Euro?

It's a new currency that many European countries are going (have just
started!) to use instead of their own national currencies. So gradually the
nations who are taking part in the project will begin to stop circulating
their own currencies and begin only using Euros. So things like the French
Franc, etc, will be slowly taken out of the market. For a couple years now
vendors across Europe have shown the Euro price to get people ready for it,
even though until now, there have been no actual exchanges in Europe. And
for the record, 1 Euro is almost equal to 1 U.S. dollar (that's the value it
started at initially).

Not quite accurate, but close enough. For the purists, I leave a few extra data:
- Euro fixed exchange rates for the european monetary union currencies have
been fixated on January 1st, 1999. By that time a Euro was worth close to
1,13 USD (if I recall correctly);
- The Euro will replace the currencies in 12 countries: Belgium, Germany,
Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Austria,
Portugal and Finland.
- Euros can be used in Bank checks and Credit cards since 01/01/1999, while
old currencies keep working as usual. On January 1st, 2002, Euro will start
to appear in banknotes, together with old currency, but checks and CC will
cease to work with old currencies. Within a few weeks time (differs
according to country), Euros will become the sole currency to be accepted.
Old notes can be changed in banks at no cost.
- Prices have been tagged doubly in Portugal (my experience). At first with
PTE + EUR conversion, now with EUR + PTE conversion. Working great.
- The last time I checked, 1 EUR was worth about 0,91 USD. The descent was
allegedly due to over-evaluation of the European currency, but the tendency
is to rise again to meet parity. At least that is what Economists say. I
hope so... :-)

If you want to know more, go to: www.ecb.int

Regards,

Pedro