 Local / Canada / Nova Scotia / 20
Re: NovaLUG 2nd Show (Dartmouth)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca.ns, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:05:45 GMT

Hello again,

I forgot to mention that I motorized all the switches for the train yard.
Nothing fancy, like no mindstorms involved, but I built 5 different version
to test and they worked well for the display, because they would have been
hard to reach from the center.
I had a speed regulator to control the output power on 4 motors and 2
regular battery boxes on the other 2. Some points with the new technic motor
would brake appart on full power.
That was a nice experiment, and I sure will use what I learned to improve
for our next show.

Best regards to all and thanks for your comments.

Jean-Marc

In lugnet.events, Jean-Marc Détraz writes:
Hey folks,

Our fledgling NovaLUG is proud to announce the successful completion of our
second public event.  We were invited to participate in the Dartmouth Model
Train & Hobby Show on November 16th in the Dartmouth Sportsplex.  We
couldn't have asked for a better location, directly after the entrance and
across from the model battleships!

For this occasion, we decided to work with themes.  We had a Harry Potter
corner (in honor of the second film just released), a North Pole corner for
Christmas, and the rest was just a combination of our favorite train and
town creations!  Each theme was separated from the others by a mountain
range.  The elevated track and bridge were a challenge to create but we
gladly learned from this experience.  There was only one accident with a
downhill runaway train...  I think next time the curve won't be at the
bottom of the hill! ;~D

We even had a Belville display (which attracted all the young girls and
their mothers) and a Duplo train to satisfy the hands-on urge of the young
bricksters.  This is a great way to encourage participation but does require
constant surveillance!

The layout was approximately 14 x 14 feet and we had a rope barrier all the
way around.  A photographer came from the local paper but all she wanted to
shoot was the Harry Potter sets!  We gave away free Lego Christmas catalogs
(courtesy of TLC) and an information sheet about our LUG and Legos in
general.  I thinked we flushed a few new AFOLs out of the crowd.

So without further ado, please enjoy the photos and send us your comments
and suggestions!

Best regards from NovaLUG:

Jean-Marc Détraz
Gail Meagher