 Local / Canada / British Columbia / Victoria / 46
Re: rocket powered LEGO vehicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:43:08 GMT

As James said, a longer burn might best.  The majority of the energy might
be spent breaking the momentum of rest.  In a several gram cardboard tube
not as big problem, lego vehicle (LV)... substancial problem.  One
suggestion might be engaging the engine after the LV has started moving.  I
am thinking of some sort of incline that the LV would roll down  (two of
those Hot Wheel tracks maybe?) and the engine would be engaged once the LV
hit the flat (moving).  This could incorporate the MS in a neat way; sensing
when the engine should be engaged rather than just engaing it... touch
sensor tripped, light beam broken, excetera.

The engery equivilant of, Randy lifting the LV to the top of an incline,
might be _several_ engines, depending on the mass of the LV.

No, the engines have a fair amount of energy.  I will have to go and dig up my
sheets on the engines...(goes away, comes back soon)

First off, some physics.

Ep=MGH

Ek=1/2 mv^2 (thats V squared)

Where,

Ep= Potential Energy (gravity)
Ek= Energy to get something to a speed (Energy Kinetic)  Both in J
M=Mass (in kg)
G=9.8 (gravity)
H=Hight
V=Velocity

Now, taking a look at my handy ESTES catalog, the motor I am suggesting has a
rating of
C-5-3  Total Impulse=10 N/S
Delay 3 sec
Max Thrust 5 Lb
Thrust Duration 2.1 Sec
(average thrust is 4.76 N, appiled for 2.1 sec)
(this is a very peaked graph, if you look at it it is like v- upside down)

Now, if only I could find the conversion from N/S to J, then I could go and do
some calculations.

As to the LV itself;  four or three wheels might produce better initial
reuslts.

Three, because then your friction is reduced.

Doesn't the Extream Team have a rocket car?  That might be a cool
conversion.  Other things I was thinking about... rear wheels behind thrust
point; slight downward thrust rather that upward; I think that engines have
a thrust value that could be used to calculate approximently, if you were
looking at launching a ABS projectile capable of penatrateing steel, or just
zipping across a parking lot :).

Yep.  I don't think that we are in danger of breaking the speed of sound with
this one though...

James