 Local / Canada / British Columbia / Victoria / 45
Re: rocket powered LEGO vehicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:06:41 GMT

Cool Idea Randy and Steve,

Before I go on, I was thinking that we should be using The LUGNET *.loc
group for this kind of stuff.  I know that you posted this to RTL, but our
little discussions within the group would be nice to be in the newsgroup
format.  I stopped watching the *.loc group due to lack of traffic, but I
subscribed by email so that I would get an email if anyone ever did post
there.  Just an idea cause I will be sending this to all ya, and likely
replies would be the same.  This way we can sort of stop out some VICLUG
presence in the *.loc groups.

As James said, a longer burn might best.  The majority of the energy might
be spent breaking the momentum of rest.  In a several gram cardboard tube
not as big problem, lego vehicle (LV)... substancial problem.  One
suggestion might be engaging the engine after the LV has started moving.  I
am thinking of some sort of incline that the LV would roll down  (two of
those Hot Wheel tracks maybe?) and the engine would be engaged once the LV
hit the flat (moving).  This could incorporate the MS in a neat way; sensing
when the engine should be engaged rather than just engaing it... touch
sensor tripped, light beam broken, excetera.

The engery equivilant of, Randy lifting the LV to the top of an incline,
might be _several_ engines, depending on the mass of the LV.

Something else that might be cool is a launch track that shuttles/pushes the
LV up to speed, then stops/slows (bunggie-racer cord?) leaving the LV to
continue moving on before the engine is engaged.  Some straight train track
maybe?  The shuttle unit could house the RCX.  The RCX could power the
shuttle in a set sequence, and engage the engine after the LV had reached a
"safe" distance.

As to the LV itself;  four or three wheels might produce better initial
reuslts.  The circut shock racer (any 2 wheeled LV (2WLV)) has several
hinderences to overcome.  Motorcycles reley heavily on rotational momentum
of the wheel to stabilize the bike (gyroscopic action)... especially in this
case with no rider steering the bike under the center of gravity at slower
speeds.  The 2WLV would certainly have to be moving prior to engaging the
engine, to provide the inital stability required to stay upright(1).  An
additional hinderence to overcome with a 2WLV is thrust force balance.  The
center of gravity changes with lean of a 2WLV.  For the most part force
should be applied through the CoG in the direction of travel.  If it is not,
the force acts to further move the CoG (bike tips/tunrs).

Doesn't the Extream Team have a rocket car?  That might be a cool
conversion.  Other things I was thinking about... rear wheels behind thrust
point; slight downward thrust rather that upward; I think that engines have
a thrust value that could be used to calculate approximently, if you were
looking at launching a ABS projectile capable of penatrateing steel, or just
zipping across a parking lot :).

Totally Cool project idea guys!!!

LINC

(1) me thinks

Hey,

We Victorians are about to develop a model rocket powered LEGO car.
Mindstorms will act as the launcher (9v), and we'll be using standard • Estes
"D" engine(s).  Anyone tried this, or have any idea if a single engine • (with
cardboard housing to protect the LEGO) will have enough thrust to power • such
a machine?  We are thinking of motorcycle (Circuit Shock Racer) type • wheels
with the engine centrally mounted (downward and back).   When I first
mentioned this to Steve, he thought I was going to mount the RCX on • board,
but that may have to wait until version 2 (if version 1 works).

Comments appreciated.

Randy et Steve

Randy Anchikoski
E-Mail: ranch@writeme.com