 Local / Canada / 2190
Re: Hobby Show November 3-5, 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ham, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:31:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Michael Shiels wrote:
Does the local Toronto train group do the train show a few weeks after this?

Nov 18 - 19, 2006  The Toronto Toy & Doll Collectors' Show &
The Toronto Christmas Train Show

We are debating which show to possibly open a sales booth at, "the hobby show"
lists 20,000+ attendees while the train show sounds more like multiple thousands
only.  But they claim to have a LEGO train exhibit I think.  I'll have to double
check that.

The Hobby Show will be attended by LEGO Fans from the Ontario area displaying
their creations--no train layout.  Yes, there will be many more attendees at the
Hobby Show than at the Train show.

The Antique Train, Toy and Doll show will be attended by LEGO train enthusiasts
displaying a new train layout.  As well, there will be a display area (if people
are interested) to display non-train creations.

The Hobby Show will end up costing the volunteers a few dollars each so we can
have electricity in our area.  The Antique Toy, Train and Doll show doesn't cost
the volunteers anything but the time and effort to set-up, display and take
down.  The idea that a vendor could be making money in part due to the LEGO
display at the Hobby Show might not go over well with some people--especially
considering the financial outlay just to display.  On the other hand, we'd be
there with our display anyways, whether or not a vendor is actually selling LEGO
related stuff.

I personally don't care if a vendor wants to set up a booth next to our LEGO
displays to 'hawk wares'--we'd be at these shows anyways doing what we love to
do.  If I was a vendor, however, and I knew that the display next to my booth
was helping move merchandise, I'd seek to open a dialogue with the displayers
and discuss recompense.

But that's just me.

Dave K