 Local / Canada / 1240
Re: Lego @ Winners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:17:33 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.loc.ca, Tim Strutt writes:
In lugnet.loc.ca, Eric DeGiuli writes:
My local Winners has several copies of the Robotics Discovery Set for $80,
5533 Red Fury (Model Team dragster) for $40, and 6455 Space Simulation
Station for $25.  Check it out, you never know what you'll find.  By the
way, these sets just arrived in the past month or so, so there is still hope
of finding older sets at nice prices.

Eric DeGiuli

Thanks for the heads up on those sets.
I found a couple 9735's for $90, and a 6455 for $25 which I bought.
Nothing else though. I was really hoping to find the 5533, but no such luck.
I hit every Winners in Ottawa too. Oh well. C'est la vie.
I'm still debating whether to go back and get one of the 9735's.
That would be my first venture into the Mindstorms world.
The more I think about it, the more I think I will.
TTYL. Play well.

Thanks as well Eric, Chris, Mario and I got 9735 RDSes.  The manager marked
them as $39.99, so I suppose we got a good deal on them-Elsewhere in Toronot
they're all $89.99.  There are 5533's all over Toronto too, so if you're in
area you could pick one up here.  It may also be a matter of time until they
hit out in the National Capital region.

The RDS is pretty neat.  It comes with two motors, two touch sensors, the
Scout (which is unusual on its own) and an good assortment of Technic
pieces, plus some whimsical bits like a large pair of bug wings and eyes
(which is amusing since I just watched Starship Troopers on TV).  It also
comes with a Cyberslam cannon which has amused me significantly even if
Chris has a Matrix like assortment of them already.  I've never had a
Cyberslam cannon, so it's rather neat to fire it at things and watch it
bounce off.

Programming the Scout is different-you do it all from the control panel and
it's meant for kids so it should be relatively easy.  I haven't really
focused on it enough, but I suspect it can't be that hard.  I encourage you
to check it out, $89 isn't a bad price at all.  But if you want to get into
Mindstorms, you should really get the RIS at some point.  The RDS makes a
great toy for kids but is really useful only as a starter or as a parts
expansion pack.

Calum

You CAN program the Scout with NQC... Just like an RCX... Makes a GREAT
slave to the RCX as it understands MSG codes.

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320