 Local / Australia / New South Wales / Sydney / 20
Re: Shopping experiences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.nsw.syd, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:40:49 GMT

I'll start watching more carefully.  What do you guys want me to look for?

There's not much among the current sets that appeals to me at present, apart
from Star Wars, and I'm well satisfied (broke) at present.

Despite a great deal of effort up and down the eastern seaboard, I'm afraid
that there simply is no reliable source for discontinued sets.  Even the
little toy shops don't seem to have any.

I reinforce the recommendation for Big W.  Without wanting to sound too much
like their ad,  their everyday prices on Lego really do seem to be almost
always a few percent less.  Kmart/Target's 20% sales are worth a look (but
go early because it almost always clears the lego shelves).

But even then, you're only saving 20% of prices that are pretty ludicrous to
begin with (compared to say the US).

In terms of recent discounts (as someone already remarked somewhere - Ben
was that you?) two of the big UFO sets are on national discount at the
moment, from $179 to $99 and $139(?) to $79.  My local toyworld still has
one or two of each if anyone is interested.  I picked up one for the optic
fibre stuff and the dome pieces.
The only reason there on brutal special is because they suck so badly as
stand alone sets (IMHO;-) that even the most disinterested parent generally
finds a better set to give their child (is that just a little bit harsh?).

In the meantime, I am always looking for Imperial Guards :-)  If anyone sees
an Imperial Outpost 6263 (or for that matter any Imperial Guards set, as
opposed to Pirates) buy it for me.  Or ring me and I'll send you the money
first. Or whatever!  An extremely forlorn hope.

If anyone is looking for a specific set, I would be more than happy to help
them out with navigating eBay.  Its always worked out well for me.  For
those who are already getting nervous - I don't sell, I only buy, and it
works.

And keep an eye on what that Emmanuel bloke from Dya shopping is flogging
from time to time - he's good value too.

Hoo-eee.  That's way more information than you needed (sorry).  I kinda got
on a roll there.

Richard
Still baldly going...
Speak to the Governor at http://www.hinet.net.au/~guinan/