 Local / Australia / New South Wales / Sydney / 102
Re: LegOz 2000.2 today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.nsw.syd
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 06:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au.nsw.syd, Richard Parsons writes:
Evening all,

We have just packed up and gone home (well except me obviously, I live here)
after LegOz 2000.2

I had a great time - thanks guys.  The house was stacked to the gunwales
with Lego.  Train tracks ran as far as the eye could see, Star Wars was
piled up everywhere, and castle and technic dodged in and out.  Cool!

James (Howse), Santosh (Bhat) and Eli (Donati) brought along trains (9v and
12v), stations, signals - my little 4.5 volt (modified 171) train never had
it so good.  Eli also brought a great big station, a metroliner, a Big
Bertha (railway mounted field piece), and a host of vehicles and people
(including the Beatles, sans Ringo's drums).

James also brought his medieval horde, and his star wars horde, and at least
two other hordes.  He also brought his new Battle Droid, and sold us all on
them - now I have to buy three, one for me, and one for each of my boys!

Peter W(hite) brought along his Belville minifig scale castle-in-progress
(which is surprisingly cool - I'm not a fan of Belville, but this had
potential), and some Megablocks for us to try out (not bad - and at these
prices, might be a practical answer to some otherwise unachievable dreams)
and an Alliance base barbecue, complete with roasting kadu.

Peter C(allaway) brought his Consular Transport-in-progress, huge and
intricately detailed, which together with all the A-wings, Y-wings, and
Peter C's impressive home built B-wing made for a tremendous Alliance
layout.

Stay tuned for photos and an update to the Studs page over the next two
weeks - maybe even profiles of the Studs guys..........

LegOz 2000.3 will be on Sunday 4 June 2000, near Penrith.  Mark it in your
diary.

Did you mark it?  Tsk tsk.  Go get your diary......

Thanks guys - look forward to seeing you next time (or before at GBs if the
rumours are true ;-)

Two big thumbs up from me too (even bigger than last time). Fantastic fun all
day (it was too short, the hours just flew by), and I retired last night a
tired but happy boy, dreaming sweet dreams of a world full of ABS...

Points of note for me (I can't blow my own trumpet, bad form, so I'll blow a
few others).

1. Eli's display of 9v trains was awesome. They are so smooth, and his many
custom models (particularly that huge gun) were cool. Nice array of other sets
too, including some up close and personals with a couple of 2000 SW I've yet
to get. Nice station too, Eli, lights and all!

2. James and Santosh had a great 12v display, including a combined effort for
a huge yellow and red (sorry, set number escapes me) train. You guys have far
too much track for your own good!

3. I now must try to convince someone to get me a 8002 after seeing the one
James bought on the way down. Very nice! You're a bad influence on me, James,
so I keep telling my wife ;-)

4. Fantastic to see the Port Block arrangement up close, Richard. I love it
all, and the stories that go with it (and thanks for hosting LegOz 2000.2, we
all appreciate it). And I had fun with the Alliance set up too, combining all
the SW stuff in one big display. Can't wait to see the photos (I'm hoping my
"in-flight" B-Wing shots turn out OK. Fingers crossed).

5. Pete White had an amusing use for the Gungan Patrol set, which should stir
up some comments. Personally I think it was highly appropriate. His combo
Belville castle should be pretty good when it's done, too. Hopefully it will
be complete by 2000.3. And thanks for the sets, Pete, awesome bargain!!!

6. Megablocks (WARNING!!! Clone brand alert!!!) looks like a 100% viable
laternative to not being able to get my hands on enough grey bricks and plates
BECAUSE TLC DON'T WANT TO SELL ME ANY IN THE QUANTITY I WANT IN THE COUNTRY I
LIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, nearly lost it there. They fit well, and
apart from a slight colour mismatch (which Richard correctly pointed out would
actually enhance the appearance of the model) it would be difficult to spot
the difference unless you really knew what you were looking for. A few of
those battleships might find their way into the collection (still stored
separately. Whilst they'll play nicely when joined together in a model, I
better not mix them up in storage, they might fight with each other).

For those who couldn't make it yesterday, mark 2000.3 in your diaries and come
along, because it is so much fun! I soooooo did not want to come in to work
today, but I have to feed this LEGO addiction somehow.

Pete Callaway