 Local / Australia / 999
RE: .org.au.*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 04:36:37 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Callaway [mailto:pcallaway@bmcl.com.au]
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 2:09 PM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: .org.au.*

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
On the other hand, if you guys/gals do now have an • official "club" or user
group for Australias, then let's go ahead and set up a • lugnet.org.au (or
lugnet.org.au.legoz or whatever you decide) and then you • can set rules and
guidelines for _that_ newsgroup because it would be a community-
created/grown newsgroup set up to serve a specific target • of people (i.e.,
your club).

Inside of your specific club newsgroup (also • automatically a mailing list),
you can specially tailor whatever rules you want, so long • as they don't
(obviously) do anything illegal or get LUGNET in trouble.

Well, according to EricK's latest map of the Australia/Oceana area,

  http://www.lugnet.com/map/ao/lug/

There are actually two groups now for Australias -- LegOz and Studs.

If you wanted newsgroups/mailing-lists for these in the lugnet.org.*
hierarchy of groups, here's how they'd look to fit in:

  lugnet.org.au.legoz  <===>  lugnet.org.au.legoz@lugnet.com
  lugnet.org.au.studs  <===>  lugnet.org.au.studs@lugnet.com

Is this something you would like?  If so, please have an • official from either
or both of LegOz and Studs contact me and I'll set up the • groups/lists.

Additionally (or perhaps instead of) would you prefer a single group

  lugnet.org.au  <===>  lugnet.org.au@lugnet.com

to cover both LegOz and Studs?

Lemme know if you want 0, 1, 2, or all 3 groups...

And also lemme know if you'll allow auction • announcements/updates in the
LegOz/Studs-specific groups.

Hi Todd,
LegOz and STUDS are one and the same at the moment.
We're having more problems than the TORAL's when it comes to • what we're called
We're hoping other people in other capitals will get • togethera and form groups
hopefully under the LegOz (or whatever it will be called banner).

I won't appoint myself as spokesthing for the group, just • express a personal
opinion and let others add and subtract from it.

We have trouble here with a thin spread of message over too • may groups.
People will post and then give up, due to little response in • their local
group. Mark.H did not even realise there was a loc.au group • (it all depends
how you access Lugnet, if only certain groups are emailed, • people may as well
live in Oblivia (;)) As pete.c said maybe we need only one • group per state,
loc.au and one .org group.

OK, time for a different approach. Feel free to flame/praise
me as you see fit.

At the very least we need to keep the following groups;
lugnet.loc.au.act lugnet.loc.au.nsw lugnet.loc.au.nt lugnet.loc.au.qld
lugnet.loc.au.sa lugnet.loc.au.tas lugnet.loc.au.vic lugnet.loc.au.wa

Possibly we should also keep the following groups as there is
activity in
them, and/or they further breaks down the states and
territories (since some
of them are lare areas);
lugnet.loc.au.act.can lugnet.loc.au.sw.syd lugnet.loc.au.nt.dar
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri lugnet.loc.au.sa.ade lugnet.loc.au.vic.mel
lugnet.loc.au.wa.per

I think that lugnet.loc.au.act.can can be removed, at the least as that is a
major component of the ACT. Personally, I can't see why we need a group for
each capital...In most cases the reason for all the posts in them was that
you couldn't [at least by email] post in the state groups, so the capitals
was where you were forced to post [an unfortunate oversight?]

We should close off the following groups and divert the
current messages to
the next available group in the tree;
lugnet.loc.au.nsw.new lugnet.loc.au.nt.als lugnet.loc.au.qld.bun
lugnet.loc.au.qld.cai lugnet.loc.au.qld.goc lugnet.loc.au.qld.mac
lugnet.loc.au.qld.mis lugnet.loc.au.qld.roc lugnet.loc.au.qld.too
lugnet.loc.au.qld.tow lugnet.loc.au.tas.hob lugnet.loc.au.wa.alb
lugnet.loc.au.wa.bun lugnet.loc.au.wa.ger lugnet.loc.au.wa.hed
lugnet.loc.au.wa.kal

Agreed.

If anyone feels left out by this then additional groups could be
created/reinstated, however maintenance of subgroups from the
state/territory
groups should be on a volume of traffic basis. If a group
just sits there not
being used at all (as many of the above groups have) then it
is obviously not
required.

agreed, although .nt should stay. I still feel that a breakdown to
state/territory level should be enough, and that a group for each capital
isn't required.

We should create the following new groups and allow posting
of all auction and
market information in them, along with organisationally
relevant information;
lugnet.org.au - which covers LegOz (all of Australia,
eventually we hope)
lugnet.org.au.studs - which covers the NSW group Studs

I don't know about the .studs, but .au sounds like a good idea. By creating
a .studs, new lugnetters from aus are going to see it and wonder why there
is only a sydney group. It would be better to have just one group, and to
prefix subjects for studs with 'studs' or similar to designate that you are
referring to that group. Otherwise it'll end up with as many groups in
.org.au as we have in .loc.au

I don't think we need lugnet.org.au.nsw.studs as that is getting too
compartmentalised (which can be a bad thing from time to time).

Agreed

Although it has been dealt with in no uncertain terms (and
I'll probably get a
smack on the bottom for mentioning it again) I still think
the most obvious
place for market/sales/auction information pertinent to
Australia is in
loc.au. Call me stuborn, fundamentally inflexible, whatever,
but that's just
the way I see it. But since Peter Callaway <> Lugnet sysadmin
I guess that's
that. Just don't be surprised if I inadvertently get myself
pulled over by the
Lugnet police to be issued a T&C infringement notice if in my
enthusiasm to
post something I forget where it is meant to go.

I'll probably end up joining you...I just hope we don't end up in lugnet
jail...1 of our .au members there is enough. [Mark, where trying to break
you out]

Anyway, </rant> and all that, let's canvas the loc.au
population and see if we
can agree to/refine my suggestions above and put this whole
messy thing behind
us.

Thought: If todd says that the only place for auctions is .market.auction,
and he won't allow a .au.market or similar, how about a .market.au or a
.market.auction.au?

Pete Callaway (it's been a looooooooooooooong week)

I Agreeeeeeeeeeee.........

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)