 Local / Australia / 9424
Re: O lucky day.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:01:56 GMT

In article <H0K699.22z@lugnet.com>,
"Allister" <amclaren@bechtel.com.spambegone> wrote:

As you all know I've been trying to establish a dececnt sized stockpile of
Lego having recently realised I had almost none in the house. Anyway, within
one of the lots of jambalaya I bought I found several 2x1 classic space
bricks, some 6x3x1 trans yellow slopes, and a couple of classic space logo
blue 6x3x1 slopes, all of which led me to believe I had one or more of the
'holy trinity' in there (that being sets 918, 924, and 928). On further
searching I also found the blue 1x4 bricks that clinched it, not two, but 4
of them eblazoned with 'LL918'. Not the best one, I thought to myself, but
still a classic, so I was happy.

It wasn't until much later that I spotted one that my good wife had sorted
out, but failed to mention to me - the holy grail - an LL928 brick. Only one
so far unfortunately, but I haven't finished sorting yet. Anyway, I've built
up both ships as best as possible - a few tail peices needed glueing, and
two of the grey ones are currently black, one grey door is still to be
found, the 918 has black rather than grey landing struts, and the floor
hinge on the 928 is also black not grey, but all in all they look outstanding.

Nice find!

When I came out of my dark ages I remembered that My brothers and I had
collected a sizable portion of the Classic sets back in the late 70's
and early 80's.

Next visit to my old house (where my parents still live) I dug into the
storage cupboards. What do you know but there was a big plastic crate of
bricks and semi built sets. Underneath was a plastic bag with all the
original manuals.

Took it home and spent a weekend building it up. Look at what I had
found!:

1x 453/305  2 Crater Plates
1x 454/306  Landing Plates
1x 885   Space Scooter
1x 886   Space Buggy
1x 889   Radar Truck
1x 891/442  Two-Man Scooter   [US: Space Shuttle]
1x 897/462  Mobile Rocket Launcher  [US: Rocket Launcher]
1x 918   One Man Space Ship
1x 920/483  Rocket Launching Pad    [US: Alpha-1 Rocket Base]
1x 928/497  Space Cruiser and Moonbase    [US: Galaxy Explorer]
1x 6801  Space Scooter  [US: Rocket Sled]
3x 6821  Lunar Rock Collector    [US: Shovel Buggy]
1x 6822  Space Grab  [US: Space Shuttle]
1x 6841  Survey Vehicle    [US: Mineral Detector]
2x 6842  Inspection Spacecraft   [US: Shuttle Craft]
2x 6870  Spacecraft Launcher  [US: Space Probe Launcher]
1x 6880  Mercury Surveyor  [US: Surface Explorer]
1x 6890  Delta 1 Explorer & Shuttle    [US: Cosmic Cruiser]
2x 6927  Mobile Tracking Station [US: All Terrain Vehicle]
1x 6929  Space Transporter [US: Starfleet Voyager]
1x 6950  X15 Satellite Launcher  [US: Mobile Rocket Transport]
1x 6970  Command Centre [US: Beta-1 Command Base]

Its about five sets short of a complete 1978-1982 collection. I have
since filled all the gaps thanks to ebay. I now call it "Classic Space -
The First Five Years"

On top of that the box also contained two classic town sets:
6382 Fire Station
0381 Police Station
and the 396 Thatcher Perkins

Its amazing what you find at mum and dad's.

David S.
--
Rocky Road - in Oz