 Local / Australia / 9420
9419  |  9421
Subject:
O lucky day.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 04:10:21 GMT

Please pardon me if this is irrelevant to a lot of you, but I can barely
contain myself and have to let it out amongst people who'll understand.

As you all know I've been trying to establish a dececnt sized stockpile of
Lego having recently realised I had almost none in the house. Anyway, within
one of the lots of jambalaya I bought I found several 2x1 classic space
bricks, some 6x3x1 trans yellow slopes, and a couple of classic space logo
blue 6x3x1 slopes, all of which led me to believe I had one or more of the
'holy trinity' in there (that being sets 918, 924, and 928). On further
searching I also found the blue 1x4 bricks that clinched it, not two, but 4
of them eblazoned with 'LL918'. Not the best one, I thought to myself, but
still a classic, so I was happy.

It wasn't until much later that I spotted one that my good wife had sorted
out, but failed to mention to me - the holy grail - an LL928 brick. Only one
so far unfortunately, but I haven't finished sorting yet. Anyway, I've built
up both ships as best as possible - a few tail peices needed glueing, and
two of the grey ones are currently black, one grey door is still to be
found, the 918 has black rather than grey landing struts, and the floor
hinge on the 928 is also black not grey, but all in all they look outstanding.

Incidentally, there's also the trans yellow 6x4x2 inverted slope piece in
there two, which was only found on the mobile rocket launcher (6950) of
around the same era, but I'm not sure how much of the rest of it's in there.

I've got to say that while spaceships with stuff hanging all over them,
complicated shapes and countless features seem to be much favoured both by
Lego themselves and many of the MOC makers these days, I really admire the
simplicity of shape that these ships have. They truly were some of Lego's
finest work.

Now that I've built them I think I'll bring them to the next BUG meet, but
after that I intend to do a 'Port Blockyard' on them and give them a bit of
a retrofit to bring them up to modern standards, but hopefully maintaining
their beautiful lines (although I must admit a I have a weakness for those
flexible hose things).

Thanks for reading
Allister