 Local / Australia / 8799
Re: Green Coats!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:22:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
[snip]
Flint and Windsor, Officers' Outfitters of Port Block New South Wales have
simply followed this pattern, and announce the availablility of green coats.

These are similar to the familiar red coat and blue coat officer's attire,
except that instead of being essentially a red coat front on a white torso
(never could understand why the sides and back should be white),

I suspect it's probably because printing white on red does not produce as
good as a result as red on white.

In my home made uniforms, I now use a coat of liquid paper on the front of
coloured torsos, and hand apply the uniform to the liquid paper. (Tests so
far indicate that this is removable, too, but I haven't tried scraping the
liquid paper off after a long period yet... I do have some torsos which have
been liquid papered for almost a year now, though).

these are a
modification to a green torso, and includes a printed cover for the back of
the torso which has buttonned-round tails coming down to the upper calf.
The back printing and tails will certainly be a nice addition.

[ship]

New red and blue coat versions are to follow, and then its a question of
which other useless torsos I have in worthwhile quantities.

Anyone know who wore green coats?

People who didn't want to be seen in the woods? There's a great story in
Bill Bryson's "Down Under" about early explorers who spent three days
hunting for food in the Australian bush, without shooting anything before
they thought it might be a good idea to remove their red coats.

I'll admit to using green coats as (historically inaccurate) Spanish.

But why stop at red, blue and green. Dark Grey would be good (Belgian,
IIRC), yellow (probably the closest) for royalist French, pink (for
Paridisan contingent), sand red (for the NSW corps, after a few years in the
sun...)

AND all the uniforms I can now produce, all the soldiers I can now produce
is going to put serious pressure on my already slim supplies of epaulettes,
shakos, bicornes, tricornes and backpacks.  Anyone with any thoughts on
practical ways to address this?

The S@H accessories pack as others have mentioned.

Also, I've scraped the skull-n-crossbones off my pirate bicorns (I like the
way senior officers can then have the white trimmed bicorns, and junior
officers plain black ones.) The original minifig peaked (army/railway style)
peaked cap, can look pretty good (and presumably historically innaccurate).
If you want to go Victorian then pith helmets are the way to go.

Consider top hats, too. And not just for Beefeaters, I recall from
Hornblower the marines wearing very top-hattish headgear in at least one
episode.

If you want some Spanish types, there's always the morion helms. (And
another thought, King Leo helms or Dragon Master helms for Horse Guard types?)

As far as epaulettes go, white adventurers ones go nicely with blue uniforms
(at least), but even those are like hens teeth these days.

Hmmm... Do regular troops really need epaulettes?

Anyone need Scout Troopers?  Silly ewok
flying thingies?  Chrome pieces?  Rowboats?

Ok, so the rowboats thingie is a joke.  Nobody needs rowboats...

If you have surplus rowboats, I wouldn't mind taking the saw and glue to
them to try my hand at a whaleboat...

Cheers

Richie Dulin