 Local / Australia / 868
Re: We should draft an "official" letter to Lego Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 04:37:40 GMT

Yeah this is sounding much better, and thats the idea, to get everyones
thoughts about something like this.

I will say this though in case it didn't sound clear earlier. I didn't want LA
receiveing a letter which nitpicks or starts requesting that they get their
acto together immediately. Although we all feel they could do better, its
important to develop a repoire with them before we start suggesting how they
should do their own business.

That is why I only wanted the letter to be just to see if they'd recognise us,
nod their heads and say "right we're with you" or they might turn around and
say "all we do is import and distribute sets, nothing more".

If we start advising them and start picking on them right away, they'll never
cooperate with us until they can understand that we want to help the situation
for everyone.

Santosh
(who's now put in 4c worth)

In lugnet.loc.au, David Low writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat has a great suggestion:
Now that there seems to be fair sizeable number of people and ideas floating
around loc.au, how does the idea of writing to Lego Australia sound?

What I was thinking was just an official letter byways to notify LA about our
existence, that is the LegOz existence. And to also inform them about how we
came about though the Lugnet.

We could ask how LA feels about this and whether they'd be willing to support
such events.

We could also let them know that we use Lugnet as a forum for
discussions/grievences/comments about Lego and its availability. The idea • here
is not to let them know specifically about any of these comments but to point
out to them where these are in case they'd like to go searching for them.
Maybe once they are aware of us and Lugnet, and if they give us support then
we can start hitting them with out grievences and comments.

I'm proposing this approach as it's rather a way of slowly approaching and
asking for support and building a healthy relationship with them, rather than
hammering them immediately.

Here's my rewrite of Santosh's draft, including Ben's suggestions. I've put
changes in square brackets and preceded new material with asterisks, so if
Santosh wrote "something like this", I've written "something *else [like this]
{and extra comments go in curly braces}".

-----------------

Dear Lego Australia

This letter is to *inform you of [notify you about] a group of enthusiasts
forming a Lego club known as LegOz. We have come together *through [by means
of] an Internet discussion forum *hosted at [called] Lugnet (available at
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/au/ ). *In this forum we discuss favorite themes,
sets from the current range and our own creations; essentially, everything
Lego.

*Currently LegOz comprises {how ever many of us put their names to this
letter}, from all over Australia. *Most of us still have our Lego from our
childhood collection {can someone think of a better phrase?}, and many of us
are raising a new generation in a house full of bricks. *Many members of LegOz
have large personal collections, the inevitable result of enthusiasm for Lego
and an adult income. *We keep a close eye on product release dates, store
discounts, and developments overseas, such as the proposed LegoDirect in the
United States.

We have *held [hosted] events and meetings to express our interests in Lego
(some publicly), *and we expect to continue to do so. LegOz would like to know
how you feel about *our [such a] group and if you support such initiatives.
*We would also be keen to participate in your promotions, such as building
events and {the truck show -- does it have a formal name?}, on a volunteer
basis (or we could always be paid in bricks!).

{PeteW, how's it looking with TRU (or was it W4K?) Penrith? Would they be
willing to break open a few sets for us to demonstrate with?}

We hope to have future dealings and discussions directly with our local Lego
*distributor [authority], *Lego Australia [yourselves].

regards,
LegOz
{names, email addresses, world club numbers (if members)}

Anyone/everyone who's interested, please rewrite this as you/we see fit.

Great idea Santosh.

-- Dave L.