 Local / Australia / 8041
Re: LEGO direct query of the week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:36:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross wrote:

In lugnet.loc.au, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Benjamin Whytcross" <b_whytcross@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GpB4s5.GI0@lugnet.com...
[snipped description of affront]

That is pretty lame -- considering that football/soccer is a big deal almost
everywhere except the US.

The probable cause for a US specific set is most likely the result of
whinging from them a few years ago when quite a few european countries got
world cup sets and the US missed out...although an explanation for why 1)
there is a US womens team set, but none for any other country[1] and 2) the
female hair in the previous field set 3409 was US only is still needed.

I'd guess the US team sets have happened because (a) soccer is very popular as a
kid's sport in the US and (b) the US is LEGO's largest single market.

I'd guess the US Women's Team set (and hairpieces in the field set) came out of
the fact that most US people are more aware of the women's team than the entire
men's league.

But there's no excuse for the lame ad verbiage, IMO.

Steve