 Local / Australia / 8039
Re: LEGO direct query of the week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:14:59 GMT

Benjamin Whytcross wrote:
Agreed...but then again they do expect the world to bow down before them,
and lego seems to have been doing an exceptional job of it for a few years.
[whereas I seem to have a little difficulty with the concept ;) ]

I think it's mostly a matter of the size of the market, though in that
case Germany should see some specials also. It may also be a factor that
probably the largest soccer fan base in the US is also pretty much the
age range for LEGO (soccer has replaced baseball as the most popular
sport for kids to play).

The probable cause for a US specific set is most likely the result of
whinging from them a few years ago when quite a few european countries got
world cup sets and the US missed out...although an explanation for why 1)
there is a US womens team set, but none for any other country[1] and 2) the
female hair in the previous field set 3409 was US only is still needed.

This is probably a factor that women's soccer is probably more popular
than men's amongst the population demographic most likely to buy LEGO (I
wouldn't be at all surprised to see that Latin American immigrants who
are soccer fans out number any other group of soccer fans other than
children).

Frank